Notify
Tools

Hornady SST Performance???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Hi everybody
Has anyone experienced the Hornadys SST?
I will like to know its performance and limitations to be used hunting game upto .... which weight ?

Also I will like its comparison between the Nosler BT ... which is better ?

Tbhank you all in advance

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
afrikaander:

I have had very bad performance, accuracy wise with SST'S. I tried them in 25, 6.5, and 27 cals, and they all shot groups which were unacceptable to me. Groups went from .75 to 2" with the same loads, compared to Sierra's and Ballistic Tips. They shoot so badly, in my opinion, that I haven't had the heart to shoot them at game.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can make a blanket statement about them,they vary with caliber.I helped test .338 225gr SST at 2800,.308 165gr SST at 2650,and .308 165gr BT at 2650.The 338 225 lost it core in wet phonebooks out to 200meters.At 50meters both 308 165gr SST and BT held their cores.The SST doing a bit better in penetration.All were accurate.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 130 SST bullets out of my 270 encore barrel for a couple of years. They are very accurate with RL22 powder. Shot 2 deer with them, one at 150 yards and another at 240. Performed very well. drichi

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
The accuracy problem with SST's might be the fact that the ogive or the part of the bullet that contacts the throat or lead is much further back than in many coventional bullets such as the standard which is the Sierra of course.

So it may depend on how far out you can seat the SST's and still get them in the rifles magazine. On a old M70 in .308 and a Mauser in 270 they are very accurate when seated out. In a Kimber 84M which has a 2.8" box they are 0.120" deeper in the case than a Sierra. the Sierra's are very accurate and the SST's are not in that rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Afrikander,
I've been extremely satisfied with them in .243 Win and .223 on prairie dogs. Accurate and seem to be packed with explosive when they hit the little critters.
I had a hunter that used them on deer last year. Same effect, accurate and pretty damn devastating to the deer. He hit a small buck in the neck and turned him a flip. I was impressed but I've seen the same effect from hunters using Nosler BTs. I can't wait to get my hands on some of the new bonded core SSTs. They might just be the "tickett".

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I tried out some 130 grain SST in my .270 and was pretty disappointed They shoot nowhere close to how well the ballistic tips shoot out of my 270. I recently got some 130grain interbonds for my 270 now these are shooters, groups average about .75. I can also confirm there killing power earlier today I only had a rear facing shot on a deer. I took the shot and the deer fell flat on its ass dead in its tracks. the bullet hit the lower rear shoulder first then went into the main portion of the body. So to me why would anyone want the SST any more when you have the interbond, haven't tried noslers accubond yet for some ungodly reason they only make 140 grainers in .270

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the SST loaded for .30-06 - most accurate bullet out of the gun.

Posts: 11 | Location: NJ | Registered: 04 September 2003Reply With Quote