THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Decapping pin keeps falling out of .338-06 RCBS FL die

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decapping pin keeps falling out of .338-06 RCBS FL die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any suggestions on how to fix this or should I just send it back to RCBS?

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Have you tried loktite on the collar threads? Great caliber choice BTW, what is your setup like? Mine is on an older Ruger M77, 22 1/2" #3 in a laminated stock, w/ VXIII 2.5x8. It's my favorite go to huntin rig. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you pull the decapping rod out and try tightening it down with some plyers.. or vice grips???

use a little electrical tape on the plyers or VGs so they don't damage the finish on the sizer ball tho..

Actually, I usually take my decapping pin out of my dies.. I prefer to use the universal decapping dies from Lee for ALL of my decapping...

I take the long road sometimes but this is to avoid any thing that has lead to having stuck cases to deal with...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally remove the pin, tighten the expander on the rod a little, then drive the pin into the assembly. That will get you a tighter fit than trying to tighten the pin in place.
Check to see if you have the small diameter pin as there are two sizes. The thirty three takes a large for best results.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some Decapping Pins have a small "Head" on them kind of like a Nail. I think all my RCBS Dies use a "Straight" Decapping Pin, but it has been so long since I've broken one that I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Anyway, look at your Die Manufactures Web Site and see if you are supposed to be using the Nail Head style. Most have an "800" number and you can call them too.

Good old "Gorilla Gripping" might just work as the others have suggested, but I don't remember having to do that either. (My memory, HA!)

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:
any suggestions on how to fix this or should I just send it back to RCBS?
The Decapping Pins are available in two versions, Non-headed for old-style RCBS dies or Headed for new-style RCBS dies.
Non-headed decapping pins are available in large or small.
The Expander-Decapping Unit allows you to convert your old-style RCBS sizing die/decapper with this quick-change assembly. If your using the old style dies, make sure the pin is the correct size.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the pins "falling out" or being pulled put by getting stuck in the hole. If the hole is too small then you should expand it with an electric drill.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get two types of pins, one has a head and its the best, you can squeeze it down, both good posts above, but you may need to set the decapping pin to where it just barely punches out the old primer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote