THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    browning a-bolt 300 win mag and nosler partitions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

browning a-bolt 300 win mag and nosler partitions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I just bought a box of 180 gr partitions to load in my 300 win mag. B/C of the short box magazine on my gun, I had to keep the oal to 3.340". In their manual, nosler recommends not using 180 gr.spitzers in the 300 win mag. They say that because of the short case neck, when loaded at 3.340", the bullet will be seated past the end of the ogive curve, giving rise to the possibility of the bullet falling into the case. Anyway, I worked up some loads that would feed in my gun with RL-22. Nosler states a max of 75.5 gr with this powder, however, I started gettind signs of high pressure at 71 grains. I assumed it was because I had the bullet seated a little further in the case than normal. Accuracy was terrible 3" groups at 100 yds. I am trying to find a bullet that when seated to max oal (3.340"), will not intrude on powder space and will be seated closer to the lands than the partion. Please help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Find yourself a roundnose bullet. Problem solved.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought about trying a round nose, but one thing has kept me from that: it's poor ballistic coefficient. I need a bullet that's good to 400 yds. What about a semi-spitzer design- a-frame,tbbc,grand slam,etc?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler has the protected point partition that can be seated to 3.34".It was designed for the .300 Win.The bc runs around .360.

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy
I had a similar problem. The bullet I found is the 180 grain Barns tx, this is the one with grooves in the seating area. Its longer being all copper and should work for you .After finding it and working up a couple of loads I quit . It seemed to copper the barrel up fairly quickly but the loads shot with in an inch @ 100yds. Nosler 150 accubonds were shooting much better some day I will experiment a little more . If you are going to load close to the lands it may not fit in the magazine.
Wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote