THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Powder for 24- and 18.5-inch 45-70 barrels with PILEDRIVER JR. bullet?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for 24- and 18.5-inch 45-70 barrels with PILEDRIVER JR. bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The query is interrelated for Marlin M1895s -- with 24-inch and 18.5-inch barrels. While I recognize that every rifle and barrel is distinct, I also recognize patterns/tendencies. And pattern is what I seek.

With Beartooth Bullets' PILEDRIVER JR. 425-grain 45-70 bullet, is there a single reloading powder that achieves optimized results -- balance between muzzle velocity and safe operating pressures -- in both barrel lengths? If there is no optimum overlap, what powder achieves optimized results in each barrel length?

I suspect the answers will be somewhere among the following: IMR 3031, H4198, H322, Reloder 7, H Benchmark, and H335.

I have used only IMR 3031 and H4198. While these are satisfactory, I'm interested in improving my load if I can.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with 322 in my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy with the 26" tube. I've been using 405 grainers and getting 1950fps with a large dose of recoil.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote