New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping Northfork bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been working on a load for my 375 H&H using 300 gr. Northforks. Unlike other 300 grain bullets, there is no crimping groove that will give a 3.6" or less OAL.

Is it necessary to crimp this bullets, or is the case neck supposed to grip the grooves on the bullet shank enough to eliminate the need for crimping?

Anyone talked to Mike Brady about this?

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted a simular question several months ago. I am using 'NF' bullets exclusivly and had the same question on the .375. The .416 is not a problem.

The general advise from experienced folks was ....CRIMP and use the LEE "Factory Crimp Die".

I got a hold of Mike and he had not used this die on the bullets. I got the die and he soon followed. I use the 1/2 turn for pressure and saw no problems with my accuracy. He tested them in his gel and found that they were performing the same, before and after crimping.

I will be using these this Sept./Oct. in Tanzania as well as the still experemental 'cupped tipped solids' along with some others who are going over. Our results will be posted.

For the .375 I an using RL15, 72gr. for 2500fps. per the Chrony. What are you using?

Hope this helps and good shooting.

SAM
(828) 754-0841
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No experiance with this, but was wondering if anyone has tried putting their own cannelure on them. Using such as the C-H Cannelure Tool as sold at Lock, Stock, & Barrel #12000 for $54.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I have a Lee crimp die for my 375 and use it on other loads, as well as using it to "snug" up the case mouth around the few Northforks I have loaded. I was curious if I needed to crimp these tighter, to the point of pressing in my own cannelure, or whether a crimp was needed at all.

I have only used H4350 so far, and am getting about 2560 fps with 77.5 grains over my Chrony. I do have some rounds made using Reloader 15 that I will try out in the next few days to see if accuracy is any better.

Loading the Northforks feels really strange to me because I can feel the bullet grooves sliding past the case mouth. It is a very different feeling than when seating ordinary bullets.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N.J.1 M.G.,

Let me know how the different powders compare. I am currently getting 3/4" groups on the average. Better when I am better.

Yes, I agree. The edges going into the case do feel strange. I do like how little they foul the bore though.

Mike said that the 'ridges' would not be put out farther since they would weaken the bullet. The grimp die did not.

When I first got my crimp dies, I kept a loaded/crimped round in the bottm of the magazines for 10 firings. There was no bullet set back in the .416 or .375. I was very happy with that. Again, I am only using the 1/2 turn that is recommended.

All the best,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote