Find
Notify
Tools

ANYBODY RELOAD FOR THE 405 WINCHESTER?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I have one on the way and I'd like to load something tougher than what Hornady loads in their factory ammo. thanks! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1895 TD in 405WCF.
I have shot it a fair amount, but I have not hunted with it yet. [Not counting the prairie dogs I shot with NF Mikes 1895 Big Grin].

I would not take my 405 to Africa so I consider it for NA game only.

For deer and pigs the 300gr Hornady should work fine, either factory of handloads.

So, when I think of loading it "tougher", for bigger game, I do not think about loading it "hotter" but loading it with a tougher bullet.

I like the 300gr North Fork. I load it over 54.5gr of IMR 3031 for 2250fps in my rifle.

I load the 300gr Hornady over 55 gr of IMR 3031 for 2245fps.

Hornady factory goes 2265fps.

All 3 hit to the same place at 100 yards in my rifle.

If I was to hunt in the Condor Zone I would load the 300gr Barnes X.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to convey, "tugher" not hotter. It looks like that 300gr NF with 3031 is the ticket. I'd like to try it with the Barnes. The Barnes book says they load it a bit longer and to 100% load density with RL-15. Might have to try that NF load. thanks again.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jorge wave

What are you getting, a Ruger #1 or a M95? If the M95, there is no "a bit longer". Without alterations to the magazine (talk to JudgeG) you will be limited to less than 3.2". Even the Ruger has a very short throat that might require a throating reamer to get much more length.

Mike

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, I'm getting the 95. Yes I'm aware of the mag length and that is what the Barnes reloading page was saying that for the 95 you need to seat the bullet all the way down to the last cannelure. THe bad part is that TSX will affect case capacity where your NF will not. Once I get the rifle I'm going to try them both.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any mono or semi-mono will take up more room than the Hornady or other cup and core bullets. I do have a pressure barrel for 405 but have never screwed it on. Plus I don't have any bullets. Hell of a situation, huh? Big Grin Hopefully that will get remedied and I can get some real data. My M95 hasn't been shot since Tony was here. I gotta go blow the cob webs off it.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge

There might be better powders for the 405 than IMR 3031, but since I have a bunch of it on hand I awlays try it first. I have never been dissapointed in its accuracy in the 223, 308, 30/06 [Garand loads], reduced loads in 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H, full power loads in the 45/70, 458 Win Mag, and in my 450 No2 with 350 and 400gr bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have some IMR 3031 on hand as well as 4198. Whenever the dealer delivers the rifle to me, I'll start working the loads and report back. When in today to pay for it and now he tells me the distributor is out. grrrr. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member