New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 ultra loading
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I just started loading for my 338 but have run into a couple problems with this gigantic cartridge. My midway bullet buller won't accomidate the case diameter. The same goes for my lee hand priming tool. Which priming tool and bullet puller will work for this caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA. I have been reloading for the 300 RUM. I can't help you with the bullet puller but your Lee had primer will work if you use a dremel tool to open up the top lip just above the case holder. Other wise the Hornady tool will work with no mods.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Is the diameter of the case smaller than the cartridge holder? If so you can make a puller using a piece of pipe that the cartridge holder sits on with the cartridge down inside. Smack on wood. Read this on this forum from a guy in South Africa. Uses it for .470 Nitro.
If otherwise you can use plate aluminum and drill a hole undersize for the bullet and a larger hole that allows flexibility of the plate so you can squeeze the bullet. Put loaded cartridge in press, extend upward through hole where die goes, grab bullet, retract cartridge.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used a Dremel Tool with a sanding drum to slightly open up my Lee Autoprime. It doesn't take much. Go slow and easy. My bulletpuller worked just fine.Good Luck

Posts: 21 | Location: Mt.Cheaha | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Those kinetic pullers just won't fit the big ones. I use the RCBS collet pullers and the press for the oversize ones. The RUM rims (slightly rebated) fit the 375 H&H shell holder and work fine in my hand primimg tools.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

<MOA>
posted
Cheaha-- which bullet puller do you own--I'd like to buy a kinetic.--Thanks

posted Hide Post
MOA,

I use the RCBS Kinetic Bullet Puller.The 338 Ultra case fits just fine in it. The best thing to do is take the 3-pc collet thing out of the puller and throw it in the trash.I use standard shellholders to hold the case in the RCBS. I works much,much better than the collet that comes with it.

What bullets are you thinking about loading? I have worked with several different weights in mine. Holler if I can be of any assistance.Good Luck

<Shotone>
posted
I had the same problem with my Lee hand priming tool. Fortunately, the grinding wheel in my bench grinder was the perfect size for opening up the top of the shellholder recess. As posted earlier, you don't need to remove much to get it to fit.

I, also, have the RCBS kinetic puller. It works fine for pulling crimped bullets out of my .338 Ultra.

posted Hide Post
MOA,

One other tip for the RCBS Kinetic Bullet Puller is to stick a cotton ball down inside it. This will give the bullet a soft spot to land when it breaks free of the case. It will stop the bullet tip from getting deformed or mashed. Just be sure to replace the cotton ball every time you change powders so as not to co-mingle the grains.