New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Neck Diameter Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the minimum clearance one should have between loaded case neck diameter vs. chamber neck diameter?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
ANY clearance is enough. In a hunting rifle about .004" is sufficient to insure bullet release even if debris and carbon exists on either the case or in the chamber, however, if you like to live dangerously, .002" is OK. Benchrest chambers measure clearance in the tight necked chambers in the .0000".

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Benchrest chambers measure clearance in the tight necked chambers in the .0000". "

But no crimp, please. If a crimped neck will fit the chamber without play,there is no space for the brass to release the bullet and pressure my increase dangerously.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Bob338 and waitaminute said is also what I've learned.

For BR rifles with fitted necks that require little or no neck sizing between firings, total clearance is measured in the .0000" or ten thousandths... neck turning required.

For minimal neck sizing that most tight chambered BR rifles have went back to, total clearance is .0015" - .002" and need necks turned as well.

.004" total clearance is a good "tighter neck" than factory, that should work well. Better than the .006" - .010" clearance factory stuff gives by far.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I make no claims to knowing anything about BR minimum chambers. BUT, in a hunting weapon in which you want optimum ballistic performance, if the fired cartridge's neck WILL NOT PERMIT you to drop a bullet through it into the case, the clearance is NOT SUFFICIENT for safety!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little slop may not be a bad thing. I went to Harts for a new 26" SS barrel for my .22-250Rem. I asked about the neck diameter, and the smith told me .258". I thought this strange since .224 + 11 (twice) gives me a loaded round of .246". That's an extra 012". I asked if that wasn't excessive. He simply said no. Well sir, that bloody rifle might weigh 13lbs., but it steadily shoots 5 shot, 100yd. groups in the mid .2"s. I'm happy as hell, and am a little slower to question these things now. Go figure! Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
I think it only comes down to how much you want to work the brass, that's about it too, .012" is larger than any of my factory chambers clearance and is IMHO quite excessive. Can't argue with how yours shoots though, nor would I. If you keep headspace short and tight it will always center off the shoulder anyway, if it's loose, well, that's a different story now. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote