New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 Super
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about to start reloading 38 Super for the first time. I'll be using Lee dies and an old Hornady Projector progressive press. I have a couple of questions and any suggestions/advice appreciated.

While I have happily used the Lee carbide crimp die for revolver loads should I use the same type of die for the 38 Super or would I be better served by using something like a Redding taper crimp die.

For rifle loads on the Hornady I have been using an RCBS powder measure (case activated) but emptying the measure is a pain. The Lee Pro case activated powder measure is a bit better in this regard. I was thinking of getting a Hornady lock n load powder measure because of its quick drain insert. Does the drain feature work cleanly and is the pistol measuring insert accurate enough with the small powder charges involved?

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need a taper crimp die for the 38 Super. I use my 9mm taper crimp die, suitably adjusted of course. Works like a champ. Don't know about the progressive presses.
Peter.

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded many bunches of Super using Dillon equipment ... 550B and a 1050.

A taper crimp die is HIGHLY desirable.

Most all of the stuff I have loaded was to the old major Super level and was hot. I used nothing but Remington +P brass ... best there was at the time. No problems with the powder measures.

But ... be careful, and never go beyond the +P load unless your gun is built for the purpose! (1911 based, fully ramped barrel carefully fitted for maximum strength, etc).

Major Super is great fun in a well built gun. It is dangerous in anything else.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote