New
Find
Notify
Tools

H414 same as Win 760?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen it mentioned that Hodgdon's H414 powder is the same powder as Winchester 760. I load 760 in a 7mm Mauser I have, but the H414 is easier to get, and is listed in more reloading manuals.

Is it the same stuff, or is it not?

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe yes and maybe no, don't think you'll get a straight answer. Just go get the H414 and use data for it. Then nomatter what you'd like to call it, you'll have data developed for it. Assuming one powder is the same as another is a dangerious game to play!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update

When I look at Winchester 760 Loading Data at Hodgdon's site and compare it to the Hodgdon data for H414, they are identical, down to the last digit in velocity and last tenth of a grain of powder for identical bullets. It looks like Hodgdon thinks they are identical.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've got about 3 charts that show Win 760 as faster, then Scots Brigadier 4351 and then H414.
One chart shows Win 760, then VV N150 and then H414.

So, I think that they're close but not exact.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Faster
*169 H-414
170 N-150
171 S-361
172 AA-2700
*173 W-760
Slower

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that W-760 and H-414 are just different lots of the same powder. I've seen this comment in print from at least three "Egg-spurts" in the gun rags. it's a well known fact that even cannister powders which are blended to keep the burning rate as consistant as possible will vary somewhat from lot to lot. That's proabably why there is the discrepency you see in the various burning rate charts. That's also why when you buy a new can of powder with a different lot number, you should drop back and work back up to your using load. Maybe that's why I buy powder in 8 pound cans. once the load is worked up, I don't have to worry about it for some time.
I use W-760 in my 7x57 and some other rounds as well, but lately the Hodgden's H-414 has been less expensive so I might give it a try.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H414 and WW 760 are both manufactured by the St. Marks powder facility and are manufactured to the same specifications. One will vary from the other in the same way that different lots of the same powder will vary.

Other ballistic twins from St. Marks:

H335 and WC 844
BLC2 and WC 846 and WW 748

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to get a straignt "official" answer on this but from my inquiries I believe they are the same powder and I use data with said powders in reloading manuals interchangebly.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Told ya ya wouldn't get a straight answer. I wouldn't fool with substituting data for one powder to another. They might be the same, but the powers that be aren't willing to admit it. You switch them and something goes wrong, your the looser from start to finish! That means that if the data is wrong and it blows up in your hands, tuff luck, they gave you data for the powder you used, you changed it!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People can argue over them being the same or not...

But like I look at it... if I use one or the other, any differences are not real apparent in the end...

close enough for government work is all I know...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I have used them interchangably. As far as I'm concerned they're the same.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have found the two to be very close, but not identical. However, the differences may be no more than sometimes shows up in different lots of the same powder!

In any case, when changing from WW760 to H414 or vice-versa, it is wise to drop your charge 5% or so, and redevelop the load. Who knows? The best load of one may prove to be the best load of the other, in your gun. But maybe not. Why take a chance??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote