New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat Tail vs. Flat Bottoms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I am not talking about the old Queen song "Fat Bottomed Girls", but a friend of mine and I were at the range on Saturday and he says to me that Boat tail bullets are harder on barrels than Flat Bottomed bullets. Is this true and if so why. just currious. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It seems to be true, but the difference is not significant enough for a hunter to worry about. Boattail ballistic superiority over pointed flat bottom bullets doesn't really help a shooter much until ranges exceed 500 yards or more!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard from some "expert" or another that boattail bullets are more inclined to separate core from jacket than flat based bullets. I have no evidence either way, but it sounds plausible.

I suspect that the boattail design, except for the rare long range competition shooter, is a marketing gimmick.

It is interesting that the best premium hunting bullets are mostly flat based.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the best thing about boat tails is the easy way they seat.

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that generally flat based bullets will be more accurate that boattail bullets particularly within 300 yds where we hunt. I shoot both, and have experienced good accuracy with both. On hard to suit rifles, generally, a flatbase will do the job for me. Boattails were added to reduce upset when a bullet drops below sonic barrier. (It also makes them seat better, but that wasn't the point.) I think that they are also suppose to settle down faster. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The boat-tailed bullet is not harder on barrels than flat-based bullets.

The boat-tailed design does not show it's advantage over flat-based bullets until after 250 yards (give or take 50).

The boat-tailed bullet is easier to load.

If the jacket removes itself from the bullet, it makes no real difference if you placed the bullet where it should have been placed. If it did, then no one would be using lead bullets anymore.

And that is the Gospel acccording to Saint Ricciardelli, Chapter 1, verses 1 thru 4.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they have to pay Sierra a royalty to make them or not assuming Sierra was the pioneer of them. I like boattail bullets and use them when there is a choice mostly for the the ease of reloading but many of my shots are over 250 so I think they help a little.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Depends on what you are using the bullet for.
In my experience the boat tail will shed it jacket faster than a flat based bullet in a hunting situation. For match shooting... go to the nearest match. Don't think any top shooters are still shooting bt's. Everybody shoots handmade flat base bullets that I know of. These guys know their sh%t.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The myth about boat tail bullets being harder on barrels than flat base bullets was started by a US military report. At the time rounds loaded for machine guns used boat tail bullets while rounds for Springfield & Enfield rifles had flat based bullets. Since the life of a machine gun barrel was considerably shorter than for a bolt action rifle someone assumed it must be the boat tail bullets that erroded the barrels that much faster.I believe this was mentioned in Gen Hatchers handbook. I believe Gen Hatcher disputed this assumption and concluded the reduced life of a machine gun barrel was due to the elevated temperatures associated with rapid fire.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As for match shooting it is true that Benchrest shooters go with flat base exclusively and shoot at 100 and 200 yards. In high power everyone uses boat tail hp's as the amount of wind deflection in a changing condition at long range is lessened.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I think this is like RN or SP or redheads vs blondes...(okay, so redheads are better, but...)

1: BT is easier to reload, FB are shorter. If you have a critical load, or a too short mag, this can make all the difference.

2: the oglive's are in different, and have to measured each time. I realize this is a "No S!it" to most guys, but it always bears repeating

3: there is a "concern" outthere that the sides of the BT will catch powder and crinkle the case... I've done thousands, haven't seen it.. which must mean that the percentage chance is well below .001%, at least on my bench

4: anyone seen a RNBT? best of both worlds?

5: the BT is supposed to help at trans-sonic migrations, up and down, to stabilize. I don't shoot that dang far, and neither should you. realize that mach is something in the range of 850-900 fps. Do you want to have your 278 superwhizbanger, starting at 2200 ft/lbs at 3300 fps, down to like 300 ft/lbs at 700 fps? remember that the receipe for a deer rifle is 1000ft/lbs AT IMPACT.

6: if you like em, shoot em, if your gun likes em, shoot em, and if you hate em, don't buy em.

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of loads for Barnes XLC bullets both 180g in a 308 Win over 44.5 g Varget(max according to Barnes). My friend mentioed in passing the "contorversy". I figured that there was most likely no issue, but in an effort to learn more I thought I'd ask here as well.

As for me I have no intention of shooting past 200 yds on my upcoming deer hunt. I don't ever anticipate shooting at game over 250 yds(but reserve the right to be surprised). I purchase both because the first box only came in FB the next box I found out BT was available and figured I might get better accuracy from them(Barnes did change the design after all, must have been for a reason.)The third box, because the guy behind the counter grabbed a box and I noticed thatther were no BTs on the shelf.

Thanks for all the replys. My rifle likes both about equally so I am not going to worry about it and at 5000+ rounds hopefully I'll worry about a new barrel.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are boattail bullets harder on barrels than flat-based bullets?

No.

The foundation of this theory is that because of the shape of the base, the hot propellant gases are directed outward against the lands and grooves, thus causing additional barrel wear. If this were true, then a concave bullet base would make the barrel last longer. Obviously neither is the case.

You didn't ask about accuracy, terminal performance, effective range, or who holds the "patent" (nobody) on boattails, so I won't go there.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucky Shot:
[QB]I wonder if they have to pay Sierra a royalty to make them or not assuming Sierra was the pioneer of them.

-------------------------------------------------
The first smokeless rifle cartridge, the 1886 8mm Lebel was loaded with a 196 gr boattail bullet.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Someone asked....have you ever seen a round nosed boatail bullet..... yes I have and wish I still had it. Am going from memory here , but think it was a Remington 220gr. in a .30/06 case. Why they would make such a thing is...
Think it dates back to the 40's