Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads using H4895
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I was on the Hodgdon web site and they have a section on reduced loads for H4895.

I'm not quoting verbatim but the way I read it could be open to interpretation.

I believe it says to take the highest listed charge of H4895 for that cartridge and multiply that charge by 60%.

Using Hodgdon's listed data for the 375H&H.
They quote 74gns of H4895 with a 200gn projectile as a maximum load.
If I have done the calculation correctly 74 x 60% =44.4gns.

The way I read the instructions, If you change to a heavier projectlie you would still use 74gn as opposed to using the highest charge of H4895 for that weight of projectile, which is 69gn.

For instance if I went to a 300 gn projectile.
would I use 44.4gn or would I use 65gn x 60%=39gn

Thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
X-rings,I will have to look in my Hornady manual but i think for the H4895 powder around 58-60gr. is the listed start load for 375H&H and 300gr.bullet...
If you want to get a really low powder charge for recoil reduction all the way to full power loads check out XMP5744 powder,its the recommended powder for reduced loads in lots of big bores without useing any type of a filler....
Hope this helps & good luck! tu2

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
a 300 gn projectile. would use 65gn x 60%=39gn

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had thought the 60% was bullet specific. However reading the website it is unclear. Looking at the data they have listed for the few cartridges they show reduced data for the loads for the most part go down as bullet increase.

It also says that you could reduce the load by up to an addition 10% looking for accuracy. On the upper side you could go all the way back up to max.

If 60% of a couple of grs difference between bullet weight is a significant issue I would suggest going to a different powder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote