Tools

Barnes "TSX" Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think Barnes bullets are a great idea, but I have rarely
been able to get them to shoot well in my guns. Now I hear
glowing reports on the "TSX" Barnes for accuracy. Has
anyone else noted this. I have not tried them myself.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Okay....rut is in full swing. Took my second deer yesterday 20 minutes after sunset. Another 8 pointer, heavy bases, lots of knarl on main beams, 8" tines, 18.5" spread. The TSX just knocks em dead, not my best shot as I thought he was quartering away when he was actually almost broadside at 85 yards. Pass through shot 5th rib to 5th rib and he only went about 45 yards

Shot made a kinda funny sound, big boom then a big echo and THWACK of the bullet. When I checked my fired case after I got home last night I could not insert a bullet into the case neck at all This case was checked prior to reloading for neck thickness and it was fine. Any ideas?

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
So, did you just shoot your first deer? OR did you use the TSX for the first time on a deer?

Congrats either way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first deer with TSX (140 gr in 7mm-08 MV 2825 fps) this past Friday, 175 lb 8 pointer. Quartering away shot at 65 yards, entered right side about 5th rib back, through lungs and exited out of left shoulder. Blood at the shot site and tremendous blood loss for 20 yards where he fell dead. The bullet had begun opening on the hide, nickle size entrance hole, quarter size where it entered the off shoulder and where it exited. VERY DEAD.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
140 gr. TSX in my 7mm Rem.Mag, two does this weekend, both a little over 100 yrds, broadside shots. Neither took a step, complete pass throughs, lungs were pulverized. Both shots exited through ribs, bone was just gone, about the size of a quater. This load shoots under an inch at 100 yrds. from my Encore, best results with the bullet .007 off the lands.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First TSX on deer Good size deer for down here, nice horn mass, good tines, lack of width (couldn't get a preshot judge on width) but will make a heck of a set of rattlin horns

Prerut in full swing....small bucks chasing does, big bucks on the way! I LOVE DECEMBER IN THE DEEP SOUTH!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent time over the last year experimenting with different bullets ie Swifts, Nosler, Barnes, etc, and powders, etc. Loading for 30-378's (4 different rifles), 338-378's, 308 win (two different rifles), 375 H&H, 458 Lott in every instance we found the Barnes TSX to be the most accurate of the bullets tested...from 100 yards out to extreme range, at least for the long range guns.

We have always considered the Barnes "X" bullets, of any configuration, to be extremely "tough" bullets ...so tended to use them in higher than normal velocity calibers or where large game animals are involved.

To date, with the TSX, we have shot two Cape Buffalo (458 Lott), a Zebra and Heartbeast (375 H&H), two Whitails and a Mule Deer (30-378). In actual field performance the TSX worked great. Both Cape Buffalo dropped to the first shot...did put in the insurance shots. The Zebra, at 210 yards (one shot), the Heartbeast (120 yds) one shot, the Whitetails and Mule Deer (175 yds to 225 yds) all one shot none went more than a few feet. Given the animals hunted and the calibers used we feel the TSX has given great performance with extremely good accuracy.

Now on to testing them on Southern Whitetails with the 308 win...see what happens with reduced velocity and smaller sized animals....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the TSX bullet have a slightly "blunter" profile than the Hornady SST? I have a real hard time getting the SST close enoigh to the lands in my 700 Mnt rifle in 7mm-08. The short mag lenght will not allow it.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

got home last night I could not insert a bullet into the case neck at all This case was checked prior to reloading for neck thickness and it was fine. Any ideas?

It would appear you have excess case length. Trim it back until you "can" get the bullet back in the case, and it will tell you how much too long it is.

If that does not work, try a few more fired cases and see if you have a tight neck.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote