New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget Powder Question.......
 Login/Join

<Hunter333>
posted
I have a can of Varget powder that I would like to try. I am shooting 168 HPBT Match bullets by Hornady in never fired military brass using magnum primers out of my Marlin 30-06. I have load info on 165 and 180 grain bullets but nothing on the 168 match bullet. Where do I start? Thanks for the help with the new guy

------------------

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Hunter,
as per Speer #13 manual...
165gr. 46.0-50.0grs. Varget std primer
They don't list Varget in their 168 match bullet, but most loads take the same amount of powder.
Viht. N160 gives the hightest velocity...2825
Varget....2671 both at max.
Hope this helps.
Dan

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Drop down the standard 10% from their 165 data & work up. You may end up just shy of their "recommended max" load. This should put you real close. Fine tune to your rifle & conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget may be a little fast for that application. I get very good results from it in my .308, but use H4350 in my 30-06. My tests showed that with a 165 BTSP, and 46 grains of Varget, the .308 load is, indeed, very temperature insensitive. It is not temperature insensitive in my .223. I have not found a temperature insensitive load for the 30-06.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Denton~
Try N550 in that '06. I too had that problem and while that powder seemed a bit fast for the 180's in '06, it ended up real good. Not big velocity swings with high and low temps.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote