New
Find
Notify
Tools

338RUM & 225gr INTERBOND
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just began loading for the 338RUM. I have 200 225gr Hornady Interbonds that I started with. I'm using RL25 and found that with 96 and 97gr I am getting 2 touching and the 3rd is off by a bit.

I have read that the expansive case capacity of the 338RUM does not lend itself to the smaller weight boolits. Is that true?

The rifle is a Rem 700 SS factory barrel and bedded into a McMillian. Torque wrence used for fitting,and the scope is on their w. blue Locktite.

I must admit, I was suprised how much this baby pushes back atcha! I can shoot 300RUM with no issue, but the 338RUM has me thinking!! So, maybe it's me.

Anyone use RETUMBO in the 338RUM? If so please let me know your results.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey BISCUT

Whatcha doin over here??

Coincidence but I just loaded 25 of the 225 Interbonds in some new cases last night. But I only used 92 gr RL25 but I rebarreled mine with a short throat and tight chamber so I can not shoot over 94 gr RL25 without losing the primer pockets.

Going shooting Sunday morning so I will see how they shoot.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey hey, my friend from TX!! Glad to hear from you.

Is this the Brux rebarrel job with the sexy brake you are talking about? What twist did you go with? Can't remember. Mine is the factory barrel -- SS. Sometimes I wonder if SS is as accurate as chrome molly.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The one and only (and some would say "Thank God!")

Mine is a 1 in 10 but one thing you said puzzles me. You said that the 225 gr is one of the lighter boolits. I wouldn't classify it as light, a 180 gr is light, a 200 gr is light, a 210 is borderline light but a 225 gr is medium to heavy. The 250 gr is the heavyweight. I would compare the 225 gr in the 338 to the 200 gr in the 30 caliber as far as heavy goes and the 250 gr 338 to the 220 gr 30 caliber.

The reason I'm loading up new cases is because all my primer pockets are getting loose on the 3rd firing. I read on some thread somewhere that the Remington brass is too soft. Wouldn't matter cause that's all we can get, isn't it?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOODS: Sorry for the confussion. I've been shooting my 30-06AI a lot and 200grs at that. So in MY mind 225gr in a 338RUM is lighter side.

I am actually hoping that I can get the 225gr going really well accuracy wise. I've got 30 shots downrange so far so plentyl of load development to go.

Not sure on the 338 brass. I have had good luck with 300RUM Rem brass sticking around for a bit. I am also annealing the big boys every 2nd or 3rd shooting.

I did "feel" and it's just an assumption, but the 338RUM brass seems to take more of a pounding.

Are you neck sizing? I was thinking of partial FL sizing and simply bumping the shoulder back. If you have done this in the 338RUM how has it worked?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOODS, forgot to add, as far as I have seen Rem is the only one making 338RUM brass.