Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To FL Size or not to
 Login/Join

posted
Is it needed after every time you fire that round. Does it effect accuracy versus just neck sizing ? Currently I full lenght everytime I reload. Am I just weakening the case faster by doing this? Thx for the in put.

Posts: 12 | Location: Va Bch,Va | Registered: 28 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobia,

There are many variables that determine what's best. Some of them are the actual use of that loaded round. Is it for a serious hunt, match etc. Then there are tight chambers and loose ones both in terms of headspace and the other dimensions. Another is how solid is the action in terms of springing back. How hot the load is also affects what needs to be done.

A universal rule would be to FL every round and try each one of them thru the chamber making sure none are tight. Some of the best target shots FL size every round. In a match or hunt for that matter reliablity is first.

I no longer like the old fashioned neck sizing concept. For just neck sizing the Lee Collet dies are far better in every way. Some FL dies can be a very good fit for some chambers but the die must be set just right so as not to under or over size the headspace.

For seating I have found that the RCBS seating dies are very good for match and hunting ammo and some new Redding seating dies are also just as good. Others use straight line seating dies for benchrest.

The best FL die is the Redding "S" type bushing die.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I use RCBS dies and they seem like they perform well I am still pretty new to all this reloading. I full length size every case, measure , I individually weight and load each case. I dont have one of them fancy powder pouring things. I then seat the bullet to the reccomended oal and mearsure each individual round. I then chamber and make sure each round seats in the chamber. All for the love of the one important shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I then seat the bullet to the reccomended oal and mearsure each individual round. ...

Hey Cobia79, The above method can actually be "hurting" your accuracy.

The reason for this is the distance from "the point on the Ogive that makes initial contact with the Lands" forward to the "tip" varies from bullet to bullet. But, the distance from "the point on the Ogive that makes initial contact with the Lands" rearward to the "Bullet Base" is darn near exactly the same.

When you set-up each individual cartidge to have the same exact OAL, you are actually varying the "distance to the Lands" for every shot.

But, there is good news - there is a way around it and it is easier than what you are doing.

First off take a single Bullet from the box and use it as the "Set-Up Bullet". Use it to determine the "OAL" so that Bullet is "Kissing-the-Lands". Lots of methods to do this. I like the old Cleaning Rod Method, but use what you like.

Record the "OAL" on a piece of paper.

Put an empty Resized Case in the Shellholder and raise the ram. Now screw the Seating Die into the press and when it makes contact with the Case, back the Seating Die back out a full turn and tighten the Die Body Lock Ring.

Lower the ram. Unscrew the Die to make sure you can remove it and then screw it back down until the Lock Ring snugs up to the Press.

Put your Set-Up Bullet in the Case. Seat it to the exact "OAL" you measured.

Snug up the "Seating Stem Lock Nut". Lower the ram and reverify the OAL. Repeat until the OAL is exactly correct and then toss the OAL paper in the trash. You won't need it again.

Now, here is the trick:

Without loosening the Seating Stem Lock Nut, unscrew the entire Seating Die from the Press. Take your 6" Calipers and measure the "Overall Seating Die Length" and record it on the box of Bullets.

Example, lets say your OAL was 3.450". When you measure the OSDL, it might be 4.550". And as long as it is set at an OSDL of 4.550", those Bullets from that box will be Seated so the Ogive just Kisses-the-Lands(not considering throat errosion).

If you want a Bullet Seated 0.025" Off-the-Lands, you adjust the Seating Die to 4.525", screw it into the press and begin Seating Bullets. All the Ogive to Land distances will be the same. And that is what you want for accuracy. (Do not measure OAL at this point since it can be depressing.)

Repeat this each time you open a new box of Bullets, even if they are the exact same Part#. This compensates for variations which exist in the manufacturing process from box to box and for the receeding throat.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobia,

What hot core says is exactly right when it comes to OAL and variation in profile for the same part number from lot to lot. I bought two different boxes of 150 grain 270 cal hornady spitzers, and each box was from a different lot. The bullet profile was almost totally different for each box, and if you measured from the tip to base of the case to measure oal, one box of bullets was off the lands .06" while the other was right on.

If you are confused, don't worry. READ, a lot. Get a few basic reloading manuals like nosler and sierra (my two favorites, the latter being the superior in my opinion). Nosler's manual covers the steps to determining OAL very well. However, they say to stay off the lands .015 to .03". I wouldn't listen to this. All my rifles have liked from .01" off the lands to slightly into the lands. The best seating depth will vary from rifle to rifle so you can play with that variable, but do that after you have found a good bullet/powder charge combination. Start at the lands like hot core says or slightly back from the lands (1/4 to 1/2 turn of the seating plug clockwise). I have seen a huge difference in some rifles when adjusting seating depth. Buy a stoney point bullet comparator if you want to compare the OAL of bullets from different lots. Money well spent. Again, don't get frustrated if you don't understand everything just yet. Just read a bunch (from reliable sources) before blowing lots of money and throwing lots of lead down your tube. There are also manuals strictly on reloading for accuracy. Again, invaluable information that is going to save you time and money (even though there is the possibility of spending a little more money on extra equipment mentioned in the manuals, you will do things right the first time and will save you money in powder and bullets). I wish I would have heeded these words 12 years ago when I started loading.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I just KNEW when I saw the post that if Hot Core was on line that he would jump right in!!! Listen to what he says. He's got it nailed. While he and I partially disagree on the value and accuracy of partial full sizing versus neck sizing only, what he says is dead on!!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider when trying to decide whether to full-length size or not is whether your rifle has a truly round chamber.

If you neck size-only brass which has been fired in an out-of-round (slightly oval) chamber, then chamber the resulting loaded round, the bullet may not be pointing toward the middle of the chamber & bore prior to ignition. Upon ignition, the bullet may be sitting there slightly "skewed" out of bore alignment and then may be slightly deformed as gas pressure forces it into the bore anyway. That, of course, can only degrade accuracy.

And, unless you "orient" the brass of each cartridge as it enters the chamber, the skew will vary in direction and degree with each round chambered. That will further slightly degrade accuracy.

At least with full-length sized cases, the loaded cartridges are more or less back to being round in shape, and tend to lie somewhat more consistently in the egg-shaped chamber just prior to firing. That doesn't eliminate all the problems of an out-of round chamber, but does mitigate them a bit.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
"AC" when you talk of out of round chambers, you make me want to buy one of those gismos that measure concentricity of a round.

My rule is to full length all new brass. Then after shooting, neck size any that I use in bolt or single shots and full length in auto loaders. Also using the Stony Point stuff, I have recorded how far to the lands and what shoots best.

I've even gone so far (probably silly) to index my rounds in the single shots (Ruger #1's) But i have been getting some good groups which may have more to do with practice than being anal with my reloading.

And one other thing, make sure your rounds will fit in the magazine. I have seen some that when loaded to the lands that would not fit. But you can always shot them as "single shots"

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen thx for the education.

I think I understand but will have to play with it and get it right. Hotcore, when you talk about measuring the die . When I set up the RCBS die for the data at hand it has never been changed is that correct or not. I do not adjust it everytime I load a round. One thing I have noticed about woodleigh's is that they maybe accurate from round to round on weight but not on length. thanks again.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When I set up the RCBS die for the data at hand it has never been changed is that correct or not. I do not adjust it everytime I load a round.

Not sure what you mean by "data at hand". If you've measured a round with the bullet seated per Hot Core's instructions, and set the die based on that, you are good to go for the entire box of bullets. Correct, that you do not adjust for every round, just do the whole exercise over again with a new box of bullets.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you want to be set up for. FL sizing with say RCBS dies with an expander ball even lubing the inside of the neck sometimes will strech the necks up. I think if someone want to fl size use the redding type s fl with a bushing. I use only new cases for my hunting rifles and for my other type shooting I only neck size either with wilson or neil jones dies and since neil's are shoulder bumping dies I don't need to fl size and on some of my other rifles I'll use a body die. I'm not a big fan of fl sizing as I think it hurts the accuray and with using a bushing you can set the right neck tension I use an inside neck reamer after about 5 firing. On say my 7mag to 30-378 I can get about 5/6 firing before I have to worry about setting the shoulder back and on my 30-338,300wsm and 300wby I normally get about 10 firings on some of my 22 cal i can get about 20 firing and on the 6mm about the same. I don't believe in working the brass any more than I have to. I had a 22-250AI and 6mmremAI done up this year and all my test etc I've never had to resize the brass yet plus I don't anneal brass. Only problem I ever run into was during some testing after about 6 firing with a hot load primer pockets got alittle big. Use to have that problem with the 6ppc on some of the orginal brass before laupa was heard of and Skip Otto use to make a bushing for the primer pockets and I still have some of that brass and won't tell you how many barrels that stuff has been used in. I still have 243 win brass from the late 60's and that rifle is on it's fouth barrel. Just my .03 worth

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... When I set up the RCBS die for the data at hand it has never been changed is that correct or not.

I do not adjust it everytime I load a round. One thing I have noticed about woodleigh's is that they maybe accurate from round to round on weight but not on length. ...

Thanks for the kind words fellows.

Hey cobia79, Looks like you are getting all kinds of good info in this thread. Good to see such knowledgeable folks helping you out.

Your RCBS Die may or may not have changed. It can change if you get trash between the Die Body Lock Ring and the top of the Press, if that Lock Ring comes loose, if the Jam-nut on the Seating Stem comes loose and if you have changed shellholders or presses. If the answer is "NO" to all of those, chances are good that your Seating Die has not changed.

You need to have your Seating Stroke consistent. It is not uncommon for beginners to "short stroke" occasionally and goof up the Seating Depth on a few cartridges.

Most nearly all Bullets exhibit the length variance situation. Some are better than others, but since your Woodleigh's have consistency in their weight, that speaks well for them. The reason for the length variation is due to the Jacket/Core extruding slightly different from bullet to bullet in the final Forming Stages. Some of the very best I've seen for consistent length are the Sierra MarchKings and Nosler B-Tips. You would think the solid bullets like the BarnesX would be very consistent, but they vary a good bit(or used to). Fortunately, the length variation isn't a critical issue as long as the Seating Depth (Ogive to Land) is consistent.

I've not measured any in quite awhile, but it is an enlightening experience to take a box of bullets, your calipers, sit down at a table, measure a bullet and stage them from the shortest to tallest in front of you from left to right.

It does seem a lot of folks use Neck Sizing with good results. Every few years I repeat a test comparing Neck Sizing with Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR). I try to do it when I'm with a buddy so he can hand me the box of bullets without me knowing which ones I'm shooting - the old Blind Test.

Every time so far, P-FLR has edged out Neck Sizing in a group of 15-25 shots on a single target.

The really nice thing about it is anyone can try it for themselves and see which is the best. No need for me to point out that Mr. Bob's(Bob338) new 338WSM could "probably" be shooting in the 5s-6s with P-FLR instead of the 8s-10s he is getting with Neck Sizing. As long as he is happy, it is fine with me.

CORRECTION: Mr. Bob and I've been emailing for a few years now and I know for a fact he likes Neck Sizing, especially with those real nice Redding "Bushing" Dies. Well, come to find out he is P-FLRing the 338WSM I mentioned above.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I reseat my bullet depth each time I load. I always back off the seater (it has micrometer tics) and reseat to my written specs per my calipers and the Stony Point bushing.

I also seat halfway, then rotate the case 180 degrees more or less and finish seating.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load at the range.

Press #1 [Lee reloader]:
I de cap with a decapping die.

Press #2 [RCBS Rockchucker]:
I take the expander ball / decapping pin stem out of the sizing die.

I apply Imperial sizing wax to the outside of the case.

I full partial full length re size as far as I can without setting the shoulder back.

Press #3 [Lee reloader]:
I prime with a Lee Auto Prime II

I put the powder in the case with an RCBS uniflow powder meter.

Press #4 [RCBS Partner]:
I seat the bullet.
The seating depth is checked with a Sinclair bullet comparitor [large nut with holes in it] and dial calipers.

I write things on the target like, " 3-20-04 Ruger #1 .223, LC brass, CCI 400, 60 gr. SP moly bullet seated to 2.89" measured with Sinclair nut, 25 gr. IMR4895, 3309, 3260, 3229, 3284 fps, .7" 5 shot group at 100m"
When I get home I type up a range report email to a pen pal who scrutinizes me for good lab write up technique.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Here's a Link I made for using Stoney Point Products.

I tried to keep it simple.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bill -

Yeh, you know I have thought and thought about that round concentricity gadget. I have one (Sinclair's product), but don't use it very often.

As I see it, it doesn't always tell you much, when it comes to out-of-round chambers. If the chamber is oversized, even if it is perfectly round, with a push-feed action, the cartridge tends to lie in the bottom of the chamber. It may also be pushed to one side of the bottom by a spring-loaded ejector. And, of course a minimum size cartridge (new, unfired) doesn't really fill the typical production chamber.

When the cartridge is fired, gas pressure does make it expand to fill the chamber. Does it expand equally in all directions? Not likely. One side, the bottom, is already against one chamber wall. So naturally, the tendency is to expand the cartridge case in the direction of least resistance...toward the top of the oversized chamber.

The brass will then come out of the chamber no longer round, even if it was perfectly round when it went in, and even though it has been fired in a perfectly round chamber. If then twirled in a concentricity gauge, it will of course show that it is now not round, too.

So one might be led to believe the chamber is out of round when, in fact, it isn't.

The only way I am really aware of to tell if a chamber is round is, immediately after cutting it and before removing the barrel from its centered position in the lathe, to use a dial indicator and check the chamber's surface for deviations in distance from bore-center.

This can also be done with just about any barrel which can be put in the headstock or between centers and centered up on a "range-rod".

For most gun users this degree of concern is probably unnecessry, unhandy information to acquire. It may be impossible info to get if their barrel is not easily removed from their action and/or their barrel has sights on it, so that the whole barreled action won't fit in the headstock or between centers.

Still, there are some (mostly factory or shade-tree gunsmithed) chambers which are so out of round that they can be detected without all this rigmarole. For those, full length sizing every time the brass is loaded is probably a worth-while effort.

My opinion, anyway.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote