New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimm .223 nickle Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys. I bought some Remington Nickle plated .223 brass a while ago and now just got around to thinking about doing something with it. I FL sized it and took a look at the case mouth, they seem a little raggity on the edge. normally I would trimm and debur brass, but I was wondering if I should do this with the Nickle plated stuff or not. I trimmed one case and could see the brass core. I was thinking perhaps if I did this to the rest, it could perpetuate the nickle plating coming off or something like that. Thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will certainly get down to the brass, but, having neck turned quite a few nickel cases in 308, it has not led to the rest of the nickel plate coming off.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
a camfer tool should clean the mouths right up without having to trim them..

I don't neck turn my stuff.. with my rifles and my trigger finger, it isn't worth the time.. sort of like putting high test in a VW...doesn't make it go any faster or run any better..

I shoot a lot of nickel 223 brass, and I just camfer new cases after resizing them for the first time.. and frequently I just use the neck sizer Lee dies for that instead of full length resizing them...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I trim my nickel plated brass for my .357 Mag and for my .243 with no ill effects. Yes, I can see the brass, too, but it has not perpetuated the nickel coming off the rest of the case.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote