New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ramshot Hunter and velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd stick with 71.0 grains until, and if, you ever put a stain gauge on your rifle. You are getting good velocity, and using less powder. Life is good. Your brass will last longer, and you'll never notice the difference on target or in a game animal. Ramshot's ballistician seems like a pretty thoughtful guy. The took an extra month or two to check pressure curves on a lot of loads to make sure the data they put on the net was good. Not everyone does that, or so I hear.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been working up loads for my 300WSM Browning BAR using MagPro. AA's Max for the 165gr is 78gr of powder with a velocity of 3223. My loads with 77.7gr of MagPro and 165 Nosler give me avg. vel. of 2975. Seems slow, OK no big deal. This weekend I went to the range to test some loads using Ramshot Hunter and 165gr Nosler. Ramshot lists 73.2gr as Max for the Nosler 165gr Partition with a velocity of 3152. This is what I got;
71.0gr. 3179 3152 3168
72.0gr. 3183 3181 3184
73.0gr 3254 3247 3245
My velocities are above Ramshot's published Max using 2 grains less powder. Everything looked good and I saw no signs of excess pressure. To check my Chrony, I shot a three shot group with the MagPro loads and averaged 2953. I know velocity doesn't come free and I don't think I have a "fast barrel" cuz MagPro was so slow. My question is when working up my loads with Hunter should I stay below 71.0gr even though I saw no pressure signs at 72 nad 73grs? In other words is velocity a good indicator of too much pressure? I don't have a problem keeping things down as long as I can get the accuracy I like.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Ramshot pressure tests their loads and they include those pressures in their published version of reloading information. Mine isn't handy right now but I noticed that their max loads for a couple of other cartridges in which I was interested, maxed out below the SAAMI maximum for the WSM. I'm using that powder in both a 338WSM and a 338 Win Mag and in either case I get no external pressure signs when I'm at their published maximums. They have nothing for the WSM in my case. Nevertheless, they have extensively tested their powders and you can bet that exceeding their published maximum velocity that you are very likely exceeding SAAMI pressures. I'd be very careful depending on how dangerously you want to live.

I did notice that my groups tightened up as the velocity and pressures increased in both guns today and if they can be duplicated as to accuracy I'll probably keep the loads though I'm certain they are at maximum or slightly above maximum SAAMI pressures. Their propellants don't seem to give the usual pressure signs. I've also tried Big Game and Magnum and in both of those instances velocity was excess of what they published for the cartridges I was using. They are really good propellants, and very clean burning.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote