Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED INPUT ON THESE NEW (OLD) DIES I PURCHASED
 Login/Join

posted
Today after shooting my new blackhawk 357 I knew it was a keeper for life. So I was at a store and noticed one set of dies in that caliber. Listed for 38, 357 or 357max. It was a Hornady durochrome 3 die set. I was wanting to know if this set is a good set of dies and I have never loaded for a handgun and need to know what primers to get and powder for the 357 magnum shooting 158 grain bullets. Thank you for your help.
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey huntsalot, I've never used those Dies, so I can't comment on them.

As for your Loads, I like either WW-231 or HP-38 with 148gr Wadcutters for plinking and Target Loads.

For the serious "Bambi Blasters", I go with 158gr JSP Speers #4217(not the HPs) and either WW-296 or H110. Have also used Hornady XTPs and Noslers, but the Speer JSPs just seem to go a bit deeper for me.

Oh yes, try to locate a Speer #11(or older Manual) for your Load reference. Back then they used Ruger revolvers and had loads designed for them. When Speer #12 came out, they had switched to a S&W M19 and had to "reduce the loads" to keep from tearing it up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I am with you on the use of Blue Dot in the .357 Magnum, but am not sure how you get large pistol primers in those cases. The ones I own take a small pistol primer.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H110, 2400, AA#9 and prefer the Winchester small pistol primer...takes a lot less force getting it in the hole..

Posts: 42 | Location: middleburg, fl | Registered: 19 August 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've had a few sets of durachrome dies, they work fine however they will not be carbide (IIRC!!) so I would not get them, get some carbide dies instead.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Seafire, I am with you on the use of Blue Dot in the .357 Magnum, but am not sure how you get large pistol primers in those cases. The ones I own take a small pistol primer.

R F

I agree!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Early on in the life of the .357 Magnum, some cases were made with LP primers. They can be an aggravation when mixed with small pocketed cases. I gathered up all of mine and sold them to some old guy in Oregon.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote