Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 A.I. Brass
 Login/Join

posted
Is anyone familiar with 243 A.I. brass being formed from 444 Marlin cases? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using the 444 brass other than a different shell holder?
Thanks for the help.
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 444 Marlin is a rimmed case. So I'm confused.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You’re not the only one. The gun is a TC Encore,a regular 243 win. fits but catches on the extractor when unloading, the marlin case however with the rim doesn't. On the barrel its stamped 243. The overall length of an empty cartridge is 2.074 inches.
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would then say that someone simply made a rimmed version to better work in his encore. Like a 7X57R etc. Since the case is pretty much a basic case. Fireforming would not be needed except for final shoulder sharpness.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gary, It might be as simple as switching to a different "brand" of 243Win cases. Occasionally a Lot will get out that the Rims are just a bit undersize.

Or, it might be a problem with the Extractor. The Encore should handle a regular 243Win case if the Extractor is not worn, or the wrong Extractor accidentally got installed.

I'm real sure I'd not want to Neck-Down the 444Mar cases from their full diameter all the way to work in a 243Win. You sure can't do it in one pass and I'm not sure just how many Individual Reductions and Annealings it would take. Sounds like a whoule lot of work and a lot of case failures.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Gary I think Hotcore is on to something... follow his advise.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garyww

I think that you need to have a cast of your chamber made. By you, or your gunsmith, to find out what you do have. Because a rimmed cass will not work in .243 WIN or .243 WIN AI. 6.5 SWEDE

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It's fairly common for smiths to cut a rim recess on various t/c chamberings to allow the use of rimmed brass when possible.

It would take several sets of dies to bring the 444 down to .243 dimensions, ie 35 cal, 30 cal, 7mm, 6.5mm and maybe 25 cal before 24 cal, as well as neck turning as the neck will be really thick. Personally I'd fix the extractor before going through the hassle of forming a straightwall case all the way down.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input; I’m currently waiting to hear from the guy that I purchased the gun from.
I tried two other brands of brass and they two hang up on the extractor too. The 444 Marlin brass works pretty slick as far as extraction goes, I’ll just wait until I talk with the previous owner before reloading anything.
Thanks
GW