New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win Vs 7.5x55 Swiss
 Login/Join

<Col_Trautman>
posted
Which is the most accurate for target shooting?
Which of the two shells contains more powder?

posted Hide Post
Col Trautman,

Which does Rambo prefer to use?
Which will draw First Blood?
Which will drop a helicopter?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Col_Trautman>
posted
My question is a serious one......if u want to joke, do it with someone else. Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Per Quickload, .308 win has a case capacity of 56 grains, the 7.5x55 Swiss is 65.

I don't have any experience with either of these.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Colonel_T -
RCBS lists a Competition Series die set, as does Forster in their Benchrest Series, for the 7.5x55, so, maybe someone, somewhere, uses it for target shooting, but, I don't know where. The .308's target reputation has been well documented.
The 7.5x55 requires a long action, and, at least theoretically, should have an edge on the .308 because of its greater case capacity, if the action you choose can handle the pressures. The original Schmidt-Rubin rifles left a fair amount of the case unsupported, according to Hornady, which could cause some problems if the pressure gets up there.
Norma loads factory ammo which their ballistic tables show to be the rough equivalent of standard .308 factory loads.
Good luck,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:
RCBS lists a Competition Series die set, as does Forster in their Benchrest Series, for the 7.5x55, so, maybe someone, somewhere, uses it for target shooting, but, I don't know where.

Try Switzerland... As I understand it, the case has a reputation for very good accuracy, but so of course has the venerable .308 Winchester. MY choice would be the 7.5x55, but that's because I was born an oddball - as an example, my choice for daily transportation is an 1972 VW truck with a Volvo engine...

Any sane man would take the .308 and a new Volvo.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Colonel,

In the USA, most all accuracy-oriented gunsmiths have experience with the .308; I suspect very few do with the 7.5 Swiss. In the USA it will be easier to have a .308 made that shoots well than it will a 7.5 Swiss.

BigIron

posted Hide Post
Sorry Col,
I misinterpreted your username as someone who might appreciate the humor. No offense.

Best .... Nick

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<RGB>
posted
COL. TRAUTMAN THE 7.5 SWISS IS AS ACCURATE AS ANY .308,7.62+54R,30-06 ETC.CASE CAPACITY IS A LOT MORE THAN LETS SAY A .308.I LOAD FOR 2 MOD 11s AND A K-31.IF YOUR THINKING OF LOADING FOR A 96/11 OR A MOD 11 USE REDUCED LOADS, FOR A K-31 THE LOCKING LUGS ARE RIGHT BEHIND THE HEAD OF THE CASE,A LOT STRONGER RIFLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE,EMAIL ME AND I CAN EXPLAND MORE ABOUT THE 7.5 AND THE RIFLES FOR SAME.

<RGB>
posted
COL. TRAUTMAN P.S. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS DBROCK444@YAHOO.COM .RGB.

<k31>
posted
RGB gave you most of it. Now you're in my back yard. The 7.5 case can hold more powder than the .308, but that in itself means nothing. Of the two rifles, the 7.5 "appears" to be the more accurate for the rifle intended. I develop custom loads for the k31 and 1911 almost exclusively. The .308 secondarily. Pressures are the big difference. The k31 and 1911 operate around 42,000 or less, as opposed to the .308 at 50 to 55,000. Both the k31 and 1911 shoot the full military load used in the incredible SIG PE57 autoloader. The difference in bolts is the locking lugs on the k31 are at the face of the bolt, while the 1911 lugs are halfway down the bolt shaft. Both, however, can shoot the current military load.

I recently came by a factory converted 1911/.308 rifle. Following Hodgdon's load data, I reloaded .308 military cases to 42,000. The accuracy was nothing short of incredible. It rivaled my best k31s, of which I have a fair number. I've never tipped my hat to a .308 in bolt action competition. I have a good selection of .308s of mainly miltary autoloader blood. The PE57 stands head and shoulders above any .308 military autoloader against whom I've ever competed. I'm sure one could produce a heavybarreled, bolt matched .308 rifle and produce cloverleafs, but a production bolt action .308 will be hard pressed to outperform a Swiss k31. My .02

<k31>
posted
BTW..........You might want to visit my stomping grounds. Go to www.swissrifles.com read about the rifles and then go to the left side of the page and click on the Swiss Rifles Forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks there who gladly share their load data with you. Me included.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 Winchester is the one factory cartridge that is a useful hunting cartridge that is also capable, in the right rifle, of nearly competitive benchrest accuracy. It is quite possible to build a 308 that will average .250 MOA or a bit better. Other 30 caliber cartridges that may be capable of this type of accuracy are likely to be smaller not larger.
For long range competition though the 7.5x55 may have an advantage since it should be able to push the heavier bullets a little faster. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3533 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k31>
posted
Bill, the .308 has the edge on velocities at the top end. 7.5 averages are around 2,600 with top ends being around 2,800.