New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 more loading questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been loading for around 30 years, just picked a load only used 1 type bullet and things worked welll so never tried anything else. Since my question on barnes bullets a couple weeks ago I have been trying other things but not working out.
Both questions are with speer bullets.
Question 1 for 30-06
Since the question 2 weeks ago decided to check where lands where at used the lightly crimped brass and bullet method found the measurment to be 3.48 so checked one of my loaded shells that have always used and it was 3.28, after reading that closer to the lands is usally more accurate tried some at 3.37 but did not shoot well at all so will go back to old measurement.
Does this sound normal.
Question 2 for 7-08
Decided to do the same even though the load I was using was good. Checked the distance to be 2.77 when I checked my loads they where at 2.77 minus is this ok there is no evidence of problems after shooting.
Thanks for any thoughts.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sage:
Been loading for around 30 years, just picked a load only used 1 type bullet and things worked welll so never tried anything else. Since my question on barnes bullets a couple weeks ago I have been trying other things but not working out.
Both questions are with speer bullets.
Question 1 for 30-06
Since the question 2 weeks ago decided to check where lands where at used the lightly crimped brass and bullet method found the measurment to be 3.48 so checked one of my loaded shells that have always used and it was 3.28, after reading that closer to the lands is usally more accurate tried some at 3.37 but did not shoot well at all so will go back to old measurement.
Does this sound normal.Yes
Question 2 for 7-08
Decided to do the same even though the load I was using was good. Checked the distance to be 2.77 when I checked my loads they where at 2.77 minus is this ok there is no evidence of problems after shooting. Again yes
Thanks for any thoughts.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Welcome.
first, "off the lands," is a starting point. You may have to experiment to find what we refere to as a sweet spot. it could be .005" up to .100" and any where in-between.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
after reading that closer to the lands is usally more accurate tried some at 3.37 but did not shoot well at all so will go back to old measurement.

Well, you just put the lie to that bit of web expert nonsense didn't you?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load has to be safe, chamber, feed and stay in one piece. The overall length only depends on meeting those requirements and providing acceptable accuracy.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
after reading that closer to the lands is usally more accurate tried some at 3.37 but did not shoot well at all so will go back to old measurement.

Well, you just put the lie to that bit of web expert nonsense didn't you?

Yup

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sage,
There is no replacement for detailed testing with your rifle.

When using Barnes bullets, you need to be prepared to try a wider variety of powders and seating depths then with conventional bullets. Very Barnes will not shoot with my GOTO powders for a given rounds.

Generally, I adjust AOL last. I start at magazine lenght, or just off the lands, which ever is shorter, and work in, but I only do this after settling on a powder charge. One variable at a time.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How are you measuring your loaded rounds? Using calipers on lead tipped bullets gives variable reading as the lead tips are not uniform. I use the Hornady head space gauge attachment for my calipers & bullet bushings for the same.

For hunting ammo I seat bullet minimum 0.03" away from lands. For mono metal bullets like Barnes I seat them minimum 0.50" away from lands. I used to play around with seating very close to lands when I started reloading but gave up on that as a waste of time for hunting ammo.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11218 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes using a case length gauge for the measuring.
Thanks to all for the tips and info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a LOT of different bullets for quite a few 30-06's. THe overall best load I have used, which shot very well to great in most of them was worked up using the Nosler 150gr BT, IMR-4350, WIn cases, and Win WLR primers.

The OAL base to tip was set at 3.250". This said, leaving the seating die set for the BT and swapping out the 150gr Solid Base or Partition worked equally as well.

This particular load was shot as mentioned through over a dozen different 30-06 of varied brands and always shot very good, with groups averaging around 1" or less at 100yds.

As for seating closer to the lands, in most cases I start off with the max magazine length, and work in, as mentioned in a post above. I only have one rifle I single load for, the rest I want to freely cycle the rounds, without having to worry about the tip of one hanging up in the front of the magazine as it tries to raise up and into the chamber, or have pressures spike due to the bullet jamming into the lands when temps rise above the range I developed the load in.

In most cases with loads being in the middle of the data for the particular round, you can start out with a decent group, start seating the bullet back into the case and watch as the groups open up, and then close back up as you get even deeper, within reason. Similar to the fact you can usually have a good shooting load with a light end powder charge, and as you work up you will find another tight grouping load with a heavier charge. All about the harmonics.

Mike / Tx