Find
Notify
Tools

Waxy-lube wad with Jacketed Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
So as not to hi-jack another honourable members thread! Wink That being the one on accuracy differences between flat based and boat tailed bullets.

quote:
I discovered I could use the 'tail' to carry lube so that's what I do

quote:
I dip the boat tail portion of the bullet into molten waxy-lube, drip off the drop that forms on the base then simply seat bullet as normal. The excess gets cut off by the mouth. My bore stays in the lubed state so theoretically, it is ready for the first shot. But just for good measure, the last time I used it I lubed the ogive of the first bullet. With a bit of luck, I shall be making my way to the range tomorrow, then I will be able to say how well it really does work!
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:

quote:

thumbdown

ditto

quote:
??? OK. There must be a logic for your 'disapproval'?
quote:
+2 thumbdown 303; I would suspect that as you shoot you will be depositing enough lube into the throat and barrel to give you a fouling problem. The lube itself will aid in collecting carbon and turn into carbon deposited in the throat area, after it's cooked in really good you may have a hard time removing it.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Actually no, this does not happen. The bore stays shiny clean! So does the chamber/neck/throat area. That's the reason I want to do this with cast bullets too. I discovered how clean a lubed bullet keeps the bore when using a similar loading method with my hornet. Wax wads have been used before and apparently, bore life is greatly extended. By dipping the bullet base into waxy-lube, I am in fact creating a wax wad. The waxy-lube is made up of candle wax, alox and STP. It sets as hard as candle wax but a bit stronger. But we digress. More to topic, I make use of the boat tail to carry a wax wad/lube ring, making the boat tail good for me. I have not tested this bullet, with or without the wax wad at longer ranges. This particular bullet doesn't have the long boat tail that match bullets have and is a cheap utility bullet so would not be representative of the concept, anyway.

Interesting. Are these tests performed with large quanities of rounds being fired without cleaning? What happens after long term storage if this lube isn't cleaned out? If it is leaving the bore shiny then every consecutive shot is depositing some lube into the bore, if it doesn't build up it has to be converting to something, carbon I would say from combustion heat and friction heat, then being forced out of the bore by gases and the bullet. If it smokes any, some of it is being converted or broken down to basic elements.

quote:
Are these tests performed with large quanities of rounds being fired without cleaning?
No. I clean the bore with a little preservative which is in itself a cleaner - that being 'Rapid-Tap'. There is a little smoke so yes the 'excess' is being burned off or vapourized or something. Some of it is being deposited in the muzzle device - I know this because I removed it and it had a light coating of 'greasy stuff' and there was no corrosion inside. What I do not do is wipe the bore dry before firing. I just remove any excess preservative with a single patch. Is there anything in particular I should be watching for? I may have fired fifety of these rounds through this bore.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote