New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Norma loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 35 whelen that I shoot 158 grain hornady pistol bullets and 5744 with and was wondering if anyone had any load data for the Norma. The whelen load is great for practice and cheaper than shooting 250 grain Noslers. Also what loads work good in your rifle for hunting rounds? Thank you in advance.

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you asking for data for the 358 Norma Mag cartridge, or data for a 35 Whelen with Norma components? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 79 grains of IMR 4350 to push a 225 grain Nosler ballistic tip 3059 fps. My gun is a test rifle with a 27" bull barrel, so you should probably start 10% lower and try to work up. My gun showed none of the usual pressure signs with this load.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the whelen loads with the 158 grain bullets. What I am looking for is a similar load for the 358 norma. My whelen load is:
23.5 grains of 5744 with hornady 158 grain pistol bullets, found in my lyman book. I get an average velocity of 1500 fps. This load is cheap to shoot and very little recoil, a great load to practice with. I try to shoot 50 rounds a week offhand. I am looking for a load similar to this to use in my 358 norma because shooting a box of noslers a week at $32 is more than I can afford. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have a load with 125gr pistol bullets for my .358 Norma Mag (and maybe one with 158gr bullets too).

Unfortunately my load data is not where I access the internet, and because of a move, I can't find it right now.

If you send me an email (address in my profile) in about a week or 10 days I may have found it by then (I'm sure I won't remember without an email *later* to remind me!).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 35 Whelen load is very light, so there is little risk in just scaling it up to the 358 Norma using case capacities. I get 78 grs for the Norma and 62 for the Whelen, so 1.26 times the Whelen charge weight should work for starters. Use your chronograph and adjust the load to the velocity you want.

I use 5744 in each of the 15 rifles I own, and it is truely a remarkable propellant.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote