THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How consistent does your brass need to be?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I weighted my brass. I am NOT happy with this brass.

Now I am trying to figure out which to load and which to set off to one side.

How consistent does it need to be?
1gr off?
.5gr off?

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

one of us
posted Hide Post
How close does your powder charge have to be?
Brass is about 8 times heavier than powder.
If your cases vary by 8 grains their internal volume would vary about the equivalent of one grain of powder.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If I am looking for super accurate rounds for a varminter or bench rifle, then I want the brass to all be within 1-3gr. For big game hunting rounds, I sort by 3-5gr. Anything over or under by more than that gets used for something else like dummy rounds. Doesn't happen very often though.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Better results from weighing bullets that brass IME, as long as you are turning necks and don't get weight gain from a signifcantly thick neck.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose if your a benchrest guy or the anal retentive type it could be an important issue. If you like to shoot a lot and hunt a lot, I don't think it's all that important. I gave up on a lot of the minutia that can be involved in handloading a long time ago. I still shoot small groups and kill animals.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am working on a couple different 7.62x51 (308 to most people) loads.

The most important will be subsonic where a few FPS will be significant.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
quote:
suppose if your a benchrest guy or the anal retentive type it could be an important issue. If you like to shoot a lot and hunt a lot, I don't think it's all that important. I gave up on a lot of the minutia that can be involved in handloading a long time ago. I still shoot small groups and kill animals.

Nothing is worse than ignorance in action.

banana

THANK YOU THAT SUMS UP A LOT OF THE POSTS ON HERE AND GUYS SWEATING THE THING THAT DON'T MAKE A SHIT DIFFERENCE WITH HUNTING GUNS.

They should worry about more trigger time AND PUTTING AS MANY BULLETS DOWN RANGE then washing scrubbing drying weight sortting and all that other bsflag

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
I weighted my brass. I am NOT happy with this brass.

How consistent does it need to be?
1gr off?
.5gr off?

Weighing brass is not necessarily the test for consistent case volume we sometimes make it out to be. Brass weight can vary in a lot of places, e.g. casehead, which will have no or negligible effect on accuracy. A lot of BR shooters don't sort their brass for consistent weight.

I still weigh sort mine for target rifles, but I let the brass sample decide how much variation is allowable. I highly doubt you'll need variation as low as .5 or 1 grs to get a usable sample. The brass that falls outside my weight variance tolerance, I use as fowlers. But I also sort for case neck wall variation and other criteria.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my cynism - man, you must have alot of extra time available but if going though all these Gyrations is important to you - then have at it.

I guess consistancy is important as I ensure my brass is the same length, sized the same, kept in batches but that's about it. Never weighed a case or bullet in my life and I've all kinds of rifles that shoot itty-bitty groups (for example - all of mine) and some of the Target rifles encroaching into Benchrest quality.

I would imagine if you really wanted to find the ultimate JND (Just Noticable Difference = is it measureable?) I'd weigh a completely loaded round and attempt to determine if the differnece is enough to make a difference (what amount would that be?) .5 grain or 5 grains - Dunno?

There's gonna be a huge variance in JND depending whether you're loading a .338 Lapua or a .22 Hornet.

Before going through all this Minutia I'd go to the range, hang some paper and shoot at it. If the groups are small I'd save the time set aside for Minutia and re-invest it for something really worthwhile; like hunting or shooting instead.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not much into weighing things. Especially my fat ass but that's another story. I do what I call "fire cull" my brass. After I fire form my brass, I trim to lenght and start developing my load or shoot the brass as a unit. If I get an unexplained flyer, I mark the case and set it out. When I reload that unit, the marked cases are reloaded normally and if they do not nuzzle back into the group, they get pitched.
Whether I am hunting game or shooting paper determines how astringent my culling is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never weighed a case or bullet in my life

You should try it somtime.
Most of the time it is an exercise in boredom though you will often find you have two different populations of brass in your lot.
One time I did find that some old brass and new brass from the same manufacturer varies by 17 grains (25-06). That is the only reason to weigh brass for me. Just to find the occasional wild variations.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:

banana

THANK YOU THAT SUMS UP A LOT OF THE POSTS ON HERE AND GUYS SWEATING THE THING THAT DON'T MAKE A SHIT DIFFERENCE WITH HUNTING GUNS.

They should worry about more trigger time AND PUTTING AS MANY BULLETS DOWN RANGE then washing scrubbing drying weight sortting and all that other bsflag

When working up something new, I think controlling all the variables possible is the smartest decision.

Once I have something working, then I can let some variables play themselves out.
But if I don't control all the variables, how will know if something doesn't work because it will never work, or because I let some variables run their course.