New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shell Holders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always used Lee shell holders (correct for calibre)and have found that they hold the case adequately, but with a slightly loose fit.

Are shell holders by other manufacturers machined with a tighter case to holder fit? If so would the loaded round be improved by changing shell holder?

It may of course be that Lee tolerances are fine...and I have picked up on nothing of concern.

Regards....

....Titan

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I've used shell holders by almost every maker and it seems as though one company makes them for all. I can see no differences in any of them.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duikerman...

Thank you...

..Titan

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you tried four diff. brands you might find one that was just a bit tighter fit, but I have s.h. for the 06 based cases rom Redding, Lee & Rcbs & FWIW, the Redding is just a bit tighter. I see little affect in my loads though, mostly it's about not having my "rims" pull of if a case gets a bit sticky in sizing.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I once heard the height (how deep the case sat in the holder) varied from brand to brand and the amount of case the sizer could work on varied with this. I never have measured to confirm it though.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThere are differences. The primer rod assembly clearance holes have been found to give an interference fit on my Holly Wood sr.

The bevel that pushes back the primer retention cup on some makes are positioned so that they restrict the primers from being fully seated.I believe this has been most prevalent with the LEE shell holders.

If you don't have a Hooly Wood sr. you may never be affected. I don't know. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding produce a set of 5 competition shellholders which allow headspace to be adjusted in 0.002" increments.

I use the Lee Neck Collet die and find that the case (.222 Rem) is sized back to the shoulder where an obvious ring mark can be seen. When the die is backed out to prevent this case marking then the bullet tension seems less.

Perhaps this marking is normal for the neck size collet die?

...Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used RCBS & they are exactly as you described.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have about four different brands and can't really say that any one of them is better than the other.

But, they all vary in height so each set of dies have one particular shellholder. I use one .473 shellholder for my 6.5x284 and 22.250, a different one for 308, 26.06 and 243, etc.

All of my dies are always set for a single, specific shellholder.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except for the 1873 Maynard cartridges most shellholders follow the SAAMI standard of 0.125".
Since it determines headspace, it is pretty well adhered to. The special depth holders can be of value when fussy-loading or feeding a gun with long or short headspace without incurring the costs of special dies or a rechambering job.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ewin:
Except for the 1873 Maynard cartridges most shellholders follow the SAAMI standard of 0.125".
Since it determines headspace, it is pretty well adhered to. The special depth holders can be of value when fussy-loading or feeding a gun with long or short headspace without incurring the costs of special dies or a rechambering job.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

The max variance in the height of the shell holders that I have are .0018" between the tallest (Lee) and shortest (RCBS). Measured from bottom of the "head" to the top face.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ewin:

The max variance in the height of the shell holders that I have are .0018" between the tallest (Lee) and shortest (RCBS). Measured from bottom of the "head" to the top face.

thumb thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone....

....look out for my post on primers!

Regards...

...Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee's most of the time because of buying that boxed set of a dozen or more.

Recently I got 100 .45 Colt cases sent by another member. About ten or so of them have a wider dia rim and wouldn't fit at all. Will either have to scrap them, or turn them down in the lathe. Havent' decided which.

Anyone have any idea why? WW cases, others same brand fit fine, as the RP's did.

I've wondered if maybe this might have happened from being loaded extra heavy the last time. has anyone got any ideas??

Will the rims of a colt case spread wider with real hot loads even if the case looks ok otherwise??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Recently I got 100 .45 Colt cases sent by another member. About ten or so of them have a wider dia rim and wouldn't fit at all. Will either have to scrap them, or turn them down in the lathe. Havent' decided which.
I've wondered if maybe this might have happened from being loaded extra heavy the last time. has anyone got any ideas??

Will the rims of a colt case spread wider with real hot loads even if the case looks ok otherwise??

George

Wow, that would be some load! Or some really poorly annealed brass.

Is the headstamp clear, and the primer pockets look ok? If so, I doubt it was from firing heavy loads. If the rims are that far oversize, I'd wonder what else was out of spec... I'd probably pitch 'em.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were the cases the same make?. There is variation between sources with the 45 (long) Colt. The rims were made smaller to fit six rounds in the early pistols.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote