THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resize/deprime before or after tumbling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a huge quantity of once fired pistol brass that I am going to resize/deprime, tumble, box, and sell. Tumble before resizing, and clean lots of primer pockets afterwards? Or tumble after resizing/depriming and hope the pockets clean up?
How do you guys do it? Thanks, Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
tumble, de=prime and clean pockets, tumble again.
I use a polymer wax based car polish with a slight cutting compound in the second tumble, the cases keep the shine for a long period.
my 2c

John

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't tumble my cases to shine them, merely to clean them so I tumble them after I resize/deprime. I have bought some 1X brass that was shined but not deprimed. If you're gonna sell it, you might consider that.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I don't tumble my cases to shine them, merely to clean them so I tumble them after I resize/deprime. I have bought some 1X brass that was shined but not deprimed. If you're gonna sell it, you might consider that.

Not depriming makes the most sense to me also. Anyone who buys once fired brass is going to FL resize it anyway to fit their rifle's chamber, right? And I clean out my primer pockets each time after resizing. If I were buying once fired brass, old primers left in wouldn't bother me at all.

If I were tumbling my own brass, I'd do it after resizing/depriming. I look at tumbling as nice, but not necessary unless, brass is obviously really dirty, in which case I'd probably go to soap and water first anyway. My .02

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble before depriming, picking media out of flash holes is a pain in the ass. Tumbling deprimed brass doesn't clean the primer pockets anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I tumble before depriming, picking media out of flash holes is a pain in the ass. Tumbling deprimed brass doesn't clean the primer pockets anyway.

100% spot-on nailed it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not depriming makes the most sense to me also. Anyone who buys once fired brass is going to FL resize it anyway to fit their rifle's chamber, right? And I clean out my primer pockets each time after resizing. If I were buying once fired brass, old primers left in wouldn't bother me at all.

+1
I doubt you`ll get enough more out of sized, decapped, and cleaned brass to make it worth your while.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Offer it raw and see how it sells. May be more profit in it with essentially zero labor in it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote