THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIFLE POWDERS IN 357 MAG RIFLE ?? WHY NOT ??
 Login/Join

posted
WHAT IS THE REASON THAT RIFLE POWDERS ARE NOT USED OR LISTED IN THE 357 MAGNUM RIFLE ??? I DIDN'T SEE ANY RECIPES LISTED IN THE SIERRA BOOK, SO I NATURALLY ASSUME IT'S PROBABLY A SAFETY ISSUE.
I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THIS AS THE 45-70 IS A STAIGHT WALLED CASE AND IT TAKES RIFLE POWDER ,... SO WHY NOT THE .357 ?
THANKYOU !
CKM

Posts: 20 | Location: FLINT HILLS OF KANSAS | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you consider rifle powders. Plus the fact that the case just doesn't have the capacity of real slow burners...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Right! The .357 case just doesn't hold enough powder for one to get any kind of performance out of any rifle powder slower than 2400 or ones of similar burning rate. 2400 is, or was, a "rifle powder", originally intended for such rifles as the .22 Hornet, etc. It was only later that it was applied to such things as the .44 Special (by Keith), and to 410 shotgun loads.

posted Hide Post
I JUST WANT TO PLINK WITH IT, SO I WON'T NEED TO BE LOADING FOR GRIZZLY BEAR. I HAVE SOME POWDERS LIKE IMR 3031, IMR 4895, AND IMR 4064 THAT DIDN'T WORK WELL WITH MY OTHER RIFLES ,.....I WOULD LIKE TO TO USE THESE UP. SO COULD ANY OF THESE WORK ??..

Posts: 20 | Location: FLINT HILLS OF KANSAS | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"........POWDERS LIKE IMR 3031, IMR 4895, AND IMR 4064 SO COULD ANY OF THESE WORK ??....."

NO!

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I JUST WANT TO PLINK WITH IT, SO I WON'T NEED TO BE LOADING FOR GRIZZLY BEAR. I HAVE SOME POWDERS LIKE IMR 3031, IMR 4895, AND IMR 4064 THAT DIDN'T WORK WELL WITH MY OTHER RIFLES ,.....I WOULD LIKE TO TO USE THESE UP. SO COULD ANY OF THESE WORK ??..

In a word, NO! They are too slow burning for that cartridge.
For plinking loads, you can use powders like Unique, W-231, AA-5 or others of similar burning rate. You can duplicate factory loads with powders like Alliant #2400, W-296 or H-110. For plinking loads, cast bullets are a lot cheaper to work with.Some of the powders recommended in the #48 Lyman manual are: AA#5, AA#7, Unique, #2400, H-110 IMR-4227 and Blue Dot. I'm particulaly fond of Alliant #2400 in my .357 mag. loads for my handguns. I only have one rifle in .357 and it likes 14.0 gr. of #2400 with a 158 gr. gas check cast bullet for about 1700 FPS. (Max load, start lower.) Flat does a number on jack rabbits and coyotes.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK THANKYOU !!!

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You should be able to use a case full of the listed powders and not run into any kind of pressure problems. The velocity will be low, but shouldn't be dangerous in any way. I'll check them in quickload when I get home and post 100% load density numbers.

As always, your responsible for your loads.

I shot Surplus IMR 5010 in my 45-70 BFR. It did go bang, but all the powder didn't burn. I tried a couple across the chrony and the unburnt powder granules put holes in the display cover.

I'd say try it and just make sure that the bore is clear after fireing. shouldn't be a problem. You may get some unburnt powder in the action while ejecting, so look for that and see if it is a problem.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why Not just trade the powders off to someone who could use them?

SR 7625 is originally a rifle powder used in pistol cartridges like the 357.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As indicated, you might use the powders you listed, BUT, you will probably stick a bullet in your barrel and then the fun begins trying to beat the stuck bullet out. Ain't worth the danger or the effort to get the bullet out...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>WHY NOT ??<

The expansion ratio is wrong for the application of those powders.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Some numbers from quickload.
357 mag 20" bbl 158 LSWC 1.59" col
IMR 3031 17gns 1153fps 11.8ksi 104%
IMR 4895 17gns 1143fps 12.4ksi 100%
IMR 4064 17gns 1128fps 11.5ksi 101%

I would try a cast lead bullet. It shouldn't give you any problems with the bullet sticking in the barrel.
It looks like the pressures will be way low, so the powder may not burn clean. It looks like all the loads will be sub sonic so they may make a pleasant plinking load.

You'll have to try it and let us know how it went.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I was at the range yesterday testing 38 special cowboy loads. I loaded a couple of 158 gn lead bullets with 17gns of IMR 4064 in a 38 special case. Out of my Rossi M92 with 20" bbl I got 1046fps out of a 4 5/8" blackhawk I got 729fps. There was some unburnt powder granules but not too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious answer to our friend's question: If you have excess rifle powder lying around, buy a rifle and load for it. I'd recommend a 308, 30-06 or 35 Whelen. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
LOL, exactly Okie John.
I was at the range the other day and picked up a small pile of 35Rem brass, now I just need to find a gun to go with it.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen a gun blow up I have and its not a pretty site. If it is not listed in any of the reloading manuals it is a good sign that it is not intended to be used. Sure you may get by with it for a while but I value my eyes more than experimenting with powder that I have lying around. It just isn�t worth it.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I just don't see how you could get enough of the rifle powders listed into a 357 case to get anywhere near high pressure. The only problem I can see is that it might not burn clean and you'll have to clean the barrel more often.