New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4227 load for 243
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I loaded some 75gr Vmax with 20gr of H4227 - from a load recommended by a forum member. It was impressive (remember I am a Blue Dot fan), with barely noticeable recoil, considerably quieter report and cracking accuracy. The load was only tested at 200 and showed a 4" drop over my standard ammunition (100gr 2950fps).
I did not have the opportunity to check the velocity...could anyone predict a figure? (Hopefully to predict trajectory.)

Thanks....

....Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that it would be quite fast for all but light bullets and maybe even them.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Playing with IMR 4227 which is pretty darn close.... depending on barrel length...etc...

I'd guestimate the MV to be in the neighborhood of 2250 to 2400 on the top end...

With a spitzer bullet, 3.0 inches high at 100 should put you dead on at 200 yds, and about 3.0 inches low at 230 yds...with an MV of 2400....

Raise that to 3.5 inches high at 100 to be dead on at 200 and about 3.5 inches low at 230 yds or so.... for the 2250 fps MV...

Hope that helps ya out some.... thumb

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What gun are you shooting and what barrel length and twist? van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
What gun are you shooting and what barrel length and twist? van

Van,

was that question for Seafire or Titan?

the figures I gave would be close for a 22 or 24 inch barrel...not that much difference if any when the powders are that fast....

B.Beyer:

Not everyone needs a varmint cartridge at 3800 fps or more...Loads like that, reduce barrel heat, reduce barrel wear and increase barrel life....

A 200 yd load is just fine, as I consider that 90 of all Sage rats and prairie dogs I take are at 200 yds and under....

PLus they are cheaper to shoot, and decrease recoil fatigue as the days wear on.. plus you save a load of money on powder if you do a lot of shooting....

and recoil is reduced enough that you can see your hits in the scope and not loose sight picture of the hit or miss.. especially in a 243 like was mentioned...

some good points to think about...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Van:
The rifle is a Tikka Master Continental 24" with a 1:10 twist.

Seafire:
Thank you. What would you consider to be Max/Min for H4227 with the 75gr Vmax? Could this powder be safely used with heavier bullets, say 95/100gr?

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Off topic some but FYI I tried 18gr. of IMR4227 in my .220swift and a Win55gr. softpoint today and got a 5 shot group of about 1 3/4" with 4 of them fitting under my thumb and grouping 3/4" lower than my regular loads. The wind was a big issue today but this load would still do for at least 75% of what I use this gun for.

I looked up the .243 in my IMR handbook and it shows the following in 22" barrel:

80gr.SP IMR 4227 25.0gr 2695fps @ 51000cup

100gr. SP IMR4227 25.0gr 2450fps @ 52000cup

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Titan,

NB Hunter has got ya in the right direction for max loads with 4227....

Not much difference in IMRs and Hodgdon's although in my experience, IMRs gives better accuracy in most rifles.....there is always exceptions to those rules...

If you want an extra 2 cent's worth of opinion.. if you want to get that kind of performance....

try 18 to 22 grains of Blue Dot,
or SR 4759 data is close enough to be interchangable with 4227 in the 243 case.. and is also more accurate than both 4227s....

today I was at the range testing some loads for a 243 that I have that is a real accuracy pig... it thinks it is a shotgun!.... but I put together a lot of 12.5 grains of Unique and an 80 grain Winchester SP, and Remington 80 grain HP....

Got a very nice little clover leaf group out of the Winchester 80 grainer, and only a little bigger out of the Remington.... NOt bad for a rifle that usually competes for Worst Group honors with a crosseyed kid with Cerebal Palsy, and a slingshot....YOU VMax should be all the more accurate! I was just looking for reliable loads from bulk bullet for a lot of cheap high volume shooting....

As far as low end, I have ran Blue Dot, IMR 4227, H 4227, SR 4759 down to as low as 10 grains with no fillers, no magnum primers and got ignition with no problems... and very good accuracy....

Hope that answers your questions...and good luck..

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire....

Thank you again!

The H4227 trail began with a tub left over from loading for Hornet....it never excelled, so was left to gather dust. Rather than waste it, it has now found a good use.
I load 10gr Unique with Sierra 70gr Match - a very accurate load, but not yet chronographed. I will try the slightly heavier charge and see how that goes. Would 80/85gr bullets be the heaviest to use with Unique?

Blue Dot Update..

22 Hornet: with Hornady 45gr and SP primers

5.0gr = 1640 fps
5.2gr = 1799 fps
5.5gr = 1900 fps

....and at 323 ftlb - a very accurate, useful load.

Regards...

...Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
NBHunter..

Thank you..

..Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Titan,

Yesterday I was at the range, and had loaded up 12 cases of 12.5 grains of Unique and 80 grain bullets... 6 were Winchester SPs and the other were Remington HPs....

I didn't chronograph and was just testing for accuracy... so I took a Remington 243 ADL that has a real problem shooting anything well.....If that rifle likes it, the rest of my 243 LOVE it...

Got a nice 3 shot cloverleaf out of the Winchester 80 grain SPs and pretty close to it with the 80 grain Rem HPs....

I usually test loads for accuracy first.. if they pass that muster, then I chronograph them....

Load testing, I sent 132 rounds down range.. out of 4 different rifles.....just load testing...

A couple of hours, but wrestling the rain this time of year also takes away the fun.. that and my wife at home, with those " OH honey I love you... could you please do .... for me"......

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire..

I know what you mean!

Regards..

...Titan