New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSSM...WSM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, never paid attention to the wssm or wsm but need to know is there a 300 wssm? Is the super short cartridge noticably shorter than the wsm? Just picked up a 300 wsm and noticed the differences. Thanks,smoker1 Confused

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Data I have shows 2.1" for the wsm and 1.67" for the wssm. I don't "think" the 300wssm is a factory round. However wildcats have been made on the wssm case up to at least 358. So an internet search and you will find shops at least listing reamers based on the wssm.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Paul. So as I understand it the wssm is not a factory round in 300, but in the smaller calibers? I will be reloading for this rifle and wanted to make sure I had all the info I needed.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory -
2.8" actions
325 wsm (.323/8mm)
300 wsm
7mm wsm
270 wsm

2.360" actions
25 wssm
243 wssm
223 wssm

Wildcats that I know about and have seen data

458 wsm (458 Alpine, improved 458 wsm)
423 wsm
416 wsm
375 wsm
358 wsm (350 wsm, 35 Sambar)
338 wsm
6.5 wsm (6.5 Leopard)
257 wsm
6mm wsm

6.5 wssm
270 wssm
7mm wssm
300 wssm
325 wssm
338 wssm (338 ARSM)
358 wssm (several names and lengths)
375 wssm
458 wssm

Now I'm sure these cases have been necked up and down in every single direction, but these are ones I have seen with at least SOME loading data, which would mean they're more then just thoery. If you're wildcatting on the WSSM case and arent using to incredibly large bullets, the powder capacity and performance is usually between a .308 and 30-06 bsed cartridge. For example the 358 Grant, has a little more oomph then a 358 Win, but not as much as a Whelen. Wildcats on the WSM case, especially the larger calibers, are usually right on par with any magnum of the same diameter. The cases are short, but they're WIDE, the 458 Alpine i.e. has the same powder capacity as the 458 Win.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Too many SM's for me. I have four sets of reloading manuals and not one has an wsm or wssm. Sierra did send me an update for the 300 wsm and that was great. Will star with some 165 Hornady sp bullets I've had for years. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
If you go to Hodgdon's website, they have reloading data for the WSM and WSSM cartridges online. You can also go to www.wssmzone.com for more info on the wssm and some wsm data.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Olympic arms actually makes an AR15 in 300 WSSM or an upper for your standard lower.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check em.

--Thomas Jefferson