THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    223, 40 gr Nosler BT, 4000 fps, ONE HOLE groups.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223, 40 gr Nosler BT, 4000 fps, ONE HOLE groups.
 Login/Join

posted
I posted some of this on the varmint forum. However after going to the range and doing some testing, I thought I would share the results.

I put this in more detail and then forgot to title it and then it erased the entire thread!
Saeed, you have to check on that broken feature.

Work this up in your rifle. The results were in a Ruger 77 VT, early production with Black Receiver and Stainless steel factory barrel.

Tried a load with Benchmark and a 37 and 40 grain bullet and chronographed them at 4000 fps plus. However I did not like the usual Deviation Spread with Benchmark, 200 fps in this case.

So I switched to one of my favorites, which not a lot of people use, Reloader 7. Max loads listed in a lot of manual are maxed at 24 grains, but pressure was listed as 44000 CUP range.

So using Lake City Brass and Rem 6 1/2 primers and 40 grain Ballistic Tips and 40 grain Sierra HPs, I worked this load up to 29 grains, but backed it off to 28 grains and 29 is a full to the brim load.

With a standard deviation spread of only 20 fps, I chronographed loads in the 4050 to 4070 fps range in a 26 inch barrel. Recoil is increased but this is a 223, so most anyone can handle it.

Now to check for accuracy. The 40 grain hollow points gave 1/2 groups at 100 yds. The 40 grain ballistic tips gave ONE HOLE groups at 100 yds. IN fact, all 4 volleys of 4 or 5 shots yielded the same.

So this old Ruger VT has it new varmint season diet figured out.

I am seeing no pressure signs, but please work up in your rifles, for safety's sake.

Just passing on a little pleasing results.

Cheers
thunderbolt.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 just keeps astounding me. We started out with just 55gr loads mostly, I've used from 50 to 80gr. and now you characters are under the standard Hornet wt proj.
The accuracy your getting is amazing, I'll assume it's not with a 1 in 7 twist :-)
So, are you going to test it to varment type
ranges? What will happen to that little bullet
300+ yards out?
I've just bought a box of Win factory 45gr
(40) to try. A friend had previously given me
6 rounds to try but I was then only interested
in getting a good "bigger critter" load.
Later I came across my notes and noticed that
2 seperate days groups of 3 shots were both
5/8". Advertised as doing 3600 fps I think.
But not in my 20 barrel I'll bet.
Up the Corsair F4U.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JAL;

I have 6 different 223s. Only one has a 1 in 7 twist, with a 24 inch Heavy Sporter barrel on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action. That one is a tack driver also.

The particular rifle I did these tests with has a one in 12 twist.

This is the upper extremity of load data on the 223, that I have done, but I also have load data to load it down to 22 rimfire velocities or 22 Hornet velocities.

I haven't used this load on varmints out to 300 yds since it is winter here. HOwever I have used this velocity on varmints at 300 and 400 yds out of a 22/250. The results are messy.

Shooting sage rats at 100 yds, I have had them blow about 8 feet in the air; or then have one half of them go 20 to 30 yds to the right and the other half 20 to 30 yds to the left. Cuts them in half length wise. That gets pretty dramatic. If you are into the redmist thing, this bullet at that velocity will sure do it.

I was so please with the accuracy also. Normally faster velocity makes one live with a decrease in accuracy. However this load and then a 55 or 60 grain load in my 243 with 50 grains of H 380 at 4000 fps is also a one hole group out of a rifle that shoots any other load into a 4 to 5 inch group. If it works, why question it, is my philosophy.

Cheers for the the Corsair also!
thunderbolt.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote