THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Seating V-Max Bullets Far Enough to Meet the OAL?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seating V-Max Bullets Far Enough to Meet the OAL?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted
I am loading my first 22/250 rounds with 55gr. V-Max bullets and am having a hard time seating them far enough in to meet the 2.350" OAL.

At this point, only a tiny bit of the bullet body is outside the case neck and the OAL is 2.362". If I seat them to meet 2.350", the bullet will be seated up to the ogive (or whatever the point is called where the body begins to taper inward to a point), which seems like an excessive amount of seating. The case is trimmed to the minimum of 1.902", so I can't think of anything I have done wrong. The one thing I have yet to try is seeing if the bullet touches the lands, which I will check tomorrow. Advice is requested. bewildered

Interestingly enough, longer bullets in this caliber have a longer OAL, which seems counter intuitive to me. Isn't the OAL meant to keep the bullet away from the lands and allow it to be fit in the magazine?

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If your magazine allows it, seat the bullets out longer. The 2.350" figure is the SAAMI max for the cartridge and only means a cartridge of that length will fit any chamber and mag produced by a factory that follows SAAMI protocol. The COL isn`t cut in stone and the V-Max like the A Max is such a sleek bullet I doubt you can get it in the lands in a factory chambered rifle and still have bullet shank in the case.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Thanx, your reply makes me feel better. I will check the length in the rifle today, finish loading rounds, and head to the range. Thanx again!

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seat the bullets in the brass as deep as 1 caliber.
If it fits in the mag then I go from there.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must
be seen as a guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of
the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote