Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in a Prime'r ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted
Is it a type of high explosive ? I was just loading a mag prime'r in my 44 with a tightly pack'd ball of alum foil to shoot cans off my back deck, they are strong li'll things.

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I tried sticking the shell into paraffin wax it will shoot through a cardboard box.
Somewhere I read about using rubber bullets with only the primer to propel it.

I think the tin foil would probably not hold its shape and possibly be hard on the rifling but that is only a guess.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Primers contain lead styphnate with a blend of oxidizers and non-corrosive fuels according to Speer. Since the fuel and oxidizers aren`t listed I take it they are priority mixtures by the various manufactures.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are an explosive. They are not to be messed with in bulk, that is why they come in partitioned boxes.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a type of high explosive ?

If it looks like an explosion, sounds like an explosion and acts like an explosion, you had better treat it like an explosion. However the technical term is conflagration--a particularily rapid form of combustion. You and I cannot tell the difference between what a primer does and a true explosion.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote