Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a concentricity gauge.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted
I am looking to get a concentricity gauge and was wondering what you guys would recommend. As I have never owned before I was also wondering if there where any tips or tricks for getting the most out of this tool.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair is as good as any and better than most.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Case master does more than several of the others.

You can buy one at Midway for around 67 or so.

Good Piece of equipment.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS and I don't like it too much. The presure with the indicator needle lifts the end of the cartridge. When you roll the cartridge, you can end up reading a larger TIR than what is actually there.

The sinclair unit is better, but the best is this:

http://www.benchrest.com/hnh/

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I love my NECO, but don't use it as often as I should. It leads to many more questions than answers...

Big Grin

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Sinclair unit. They have lots of other nice stuff too.
MHO
Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Sinclair. It is the only one I have any experience with, but it is fast and accurate.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kory:

I don't see how this unit could compare to even the RCBS unit. Unless you have a perfect bullet that was turned on a lathe how could you possibly trust the reading? I use the Sinclair and obviously think it's the best. Just my $.02

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in the Sinclair camp. I like mine and use it often. Quality and readings are simply excellent.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECO with a 1/10th indicator. Once you start messing with one of these you will never be happy with your reloads.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the RCBS CaseMaster. It does the first brass sort I do - neck thickness variation - even before going on to case and loaded round runout. I haven't had any trouble with the indicator lifting the brass, but maybe that's because I'm pressing down on the body. I don't think I'm inducing any errors that way.

Case thickness sorting works well for me. I don't load (usually) anything over a 0.0015" variance, and that tends to remove some of my troblesome flyers. Winchester brass has been getting worse lately, however, and I've had to start accepting 0.0020 in order to keep half my brass, FWIW.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kory:

I don't see how this unit could compare to even the RCBS unit. Unless you have a perfect bullet that was turned on a lathe how could you possibly trust the reading? I use the Sinclair and obviously think it's the best. Just my $.02

Jim,

The runout of a typical bullet is normally an order of magnutide less than any case runour you will ever experience.

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Jim,

The runout of a typical bullet is normally an order of magnutide less than any case runour you will ever experience.

Regards,
Kory

Well sir you use what you see fit. I just don't know why you would want to incorporate the degree of deformation of the bullet tip into your TIR reading. It just seems to me that with the nose of the bullet spinning in that cone that you are skewing otherwise useful information. Thats just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
I love my NECO, but don't use it as often as I should. It leads to many more questions than answers... Big Grin

Good point! A concentricty gauge has the potential to drive you absolutely nuts!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As already noted, concentricity gauges are perfectly designed to drive reloading nuts--nuts.

I own two (that makes me twice as nuts--right?), an old style V-block Sinclair and the new style ball bearing Sinclair. I have modified my newer one two hold 3 dial indicators at once. This way I can measure body, neck, and bullet at the same time--masochism at its best.

Note: Many of those in hyper-competitive benchrest shooting say NONE of the concentricity gauges are very good--instead they spin the cases/loads on a lathe and indicator.

I have also listened to arguments that the V-block style is more accurate than the ball bearing style. I can't tell any difference in accuracy between mine.

Developing a consistent method and "feel" when spinning the case with your finger is important.

Alas, a concentricity gauge is one tool that is essential to producing good, concentric loads, and is very helpful when evaluating our resizing and seating methods and equipment.

As far as semi-reasonable cost and good quality, I'd choose a Sinclair or NECO.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kory:
I have the RCBS and I don't like it too much. The presure with the indicator needle lifts the end of the cartridge. When you roll the cartridge, you can end up reading a larger TIR than what is actually there.

Regards,
Kory

Kory, Have you actually used one of those? I have and it sucked.

The RCBS is the best deal and maybe the most versatal.

The Sinclair is nicer and smoother operating than the RCBS but doesn't do quite as many tricks.

I'm next going to try a NECO as it might be the most accurate.

A Bersin tool is the very best because not only will it measure runout it will actually straighten the bullet and correct most runout problems! Ain't cheap though.

http://www.kinneman.com/web/2003/catalog/css/catalog_49.html

I've used all the above except the NECO............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote