Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those who recommended Imperial Wax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help. For those of you who recommended Imperial Wax, how do you apply it? Do you put it on the cases themselves or can it be applied to the inside of the die with a q-tip every few cases or so?

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
For lubing the outside of cases, I put a bit of Imperial on my thumb and index finger and twirl the brass. Depending on the size of the case, you can do 5-10 pieces of brass before picking up new wax. A little goes a long way...

As I mostly size without expanders, it is rare I need to lube the inside of case necks. But I know that people who do use q-tips to apply Imperial inside case necks. When I did lube case necks, I normally used mica on a synthetic brush.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I apply to the outside as MHO does. For the insider of case necks, I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the thumb bit it takes very little.
For inside I use a q-tip and put a bit on the inside shoulder neck junction.The expander will draw it up.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When using Imperial Sizing Die Wax I just apply it to my finger then sort of roll the case on my finger to apply the wax. Use is sparingly, it does not take much. It is magic when resizing and wipes off easily.

For neck lubrication, I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. I have a small device made by Bonanza that is mounted next to my press. It is a trough to contain the dry neck lube with three nylon brushes screwed into it. You can dip the case then run it up and down on the appropriate size brush, works great.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
When using Imperial Sizing Die Wax I just apply it to my finger then sort of roll the case on my finger to apply the wax. Use is sparingly, it does not take much. It is magic when resizing and wipes off easily.

For neck lubrication, I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. I have a small device made by Bonanza that is mounted next to my press. It is a trough to contain the dry neck lube with three nylon brushes screwed into it. You can dip the case then run it up and down on the appropriate size brush, works great.

+1 tu2 Except I use mica instead of dry lube.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

+1 tu2 Except I use mica instead of dry lube.

+2 except I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube Application Media. Read the reviews. And the little that gets on the outside of the neck doesn't interfere with the die wax.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaseMkr:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help. For those of you who recommended Imperial Wax, how do you apply it? Do you put it on the cases themselves or can it be applied to the inside of the die with a q-tip every few cases or so?

If you do not have the dry lube for the necks, simply press the case neck 1/2 way into the imperial wax - Then lube the rest of the case. After completing the round with the case necks, simply wipe the wax even and start lubing the necks further. It is usually not messy and would not be excessive on the neck if done like above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"For lubing the outside of cases, I put a bit of Imperial on my thumb and index finger and twirl the brass."

Ditto. And an old Midway Mica kit for inside lubing. Sinclair's stuff would be better and a bit of graphite in a small cup of birdshot works too but you gotta clean your fingers afterwards; no biggie.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the preferred method of application has pretty well been described. I would add that the only time I use any kind of lube other than mica or graphite inside the neck is when turning casenecks or expanding necks to make larger caliber cartridges. For example, I would lube the mandrel and the inside of the caseneck when making a 30BR from a 6BR.

Any time you use Imperial sizing wax, remember, a little bit goes a long way.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I wipe my index finger across the wax then wipe my index finger with the thumb and smear some on the middle finger. I then wipe some one the brass size it and do a few more until what wipes off my fingers isn't enough to keep it from dragging then I repeat. I use a bore diameter nylon brush that I roll across the wax to do a handful of brass necks at a time.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I own a can of it but I don’t use it anymore. It’s just to darn greasy for me. Too hard to clean off the cases. I prefer a water based lube but if it works for you, use it, I have no problem with that.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To do the necks, I just scrape my lubed up finger across the case mouth every 2nd or 3rd brass to keep the sizing button slick.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Imperial wax is great stuff and I apply it to my cases like most posting here. Best way I have found to clean lube from cases is to use paper towels with a good soak of "white spirit" or cooker fuel as we call it. Lay the 'wet' paper towel in your palm and place 5 or 6 cases at a time on it, fold towel over and rub hands together. Results in grease free shiny cases. Use a cotton bud dipped in the spirit to clean inside the necks.
Evaporates quickly leaving no residue or smell. The paper towels don't last long but are cheap and a litre of white spirit lasts a while. Spirit is flammable so use common sense.

Need to use some moisturiser on your hands when finished as it does dry them out a bit if doing a few cases or just use gloves.

Posts: 3885 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Rohrer:
I apply to the outside as MHO does. For the insider of case necks, I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube.

What KR said. Then tumble clean. It does not take long.
Imp wax and dry neck lube works so well that once I put a 6.5 mm through a 243 Win die and thought " Wow that case needed a bit extra force " I was amazed when I looked at it properly and noticed what had happened.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtinidaho:
To do the necks, I just scrape my lubed up finger across the case mouth every 2nd or 3rd brass to keep the sizing button slick.

+1

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by jtinidaho:

+1

+2

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote