New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading press and dies question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got the Lee Anniversary reloading press and I'm breaking it out again to reload for a new 30-06 in my rifle collection.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use different manufacturers dies such as RBCS in the Lee press? I've never reloaded for rifles before and the local shop has RBCS dies but not lee

Also I see these things called the 'Deluxe Rifle Die' set which uses something called the Collet Neck Sizing although it is FAR more expensive than their other dies. What is this thing all about?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use dies from Redding, RCBS, Hornady in a Lee press. I believe some of the others have non-standard threading.

The collet neck die claims to give more uniform neck tension when seating the bullet. Have one for a .223 but haven't tried it yet.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a statement from the product information that I don't get:

The collet neck sizing die will allow you to produce ammunition that is fire-formed to the chamber of one rifle

Also this statement:

Only reload cases that have been fired in a particular firearm

What does it mean by fire-formed to the chamber of one rifle? Only reload cases from a particular firearm?? sounds like blah blah blah to me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireformed means it was fired in a particular rifles chamber and the case has expanded to fit that chamber. You neck size thses cases and only fire them in that same rifle. The neck sized cases may not fit in another rifles chamber due to the difference in chamber size, because of manufacturing tolerances. I use the Lee collet neck sizing dies for all my reloading where they make a die. They work just fine. You don't have to neck size your loads (you can full length size every time) however, neck sizing extends the life of the brass and it is supposed to increase accuracy. I can't detect any difference in accuracy but I load for hunting. Bench rest competition shooters apparently can detect a differnce in accuracy.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote