New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too fast powder?
 Login/Join

<rigfer>
posted
What happens if I use too fast powder, or faster than the ideal powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would help if you mention the caliber and powder.

So in the absence of that information, lets assume it is a 270 with 130 grain bullets.

"Correct" powders are going to be like 4350, 4831 and Reloader 19 or 22.

Let us say that by too fast you mean something like 4064, 4895 or Reloader 15.

There are two basic issues, one being velocity and one being safety.

If you have a top load for say 4831 or Reloader 22 and you the use the same weight of 4064 or Reloader 15 you will have quite a big overload. One that certainly will be approaching the area of blowing the case head. The bolt will be frozen up real tight.

As to velocity, maximum loads with powders like 4064 or 4895 with 130 grain 270 will be from about 100 to 150 f/s less than what you would get from the 4831 or Reloader 22.

Now if instead of a 270 it is a 30/378 with 180 grainers and instead of H1000 you use the same weight of 4198, then it will seem like the American invasion of Iraq has started early.

Velocity loss with maximum loads of 4198 in a 30/378 would be very large.

If the caliber was a 35 Whelen and you were using 3031 instead of Varget or 4895, then the differences would not be very great.

So as you can see the answer to the question does depend on the caliber and powders being used.

Mike

[ 08-10-2002, 14:52: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
In a given case volume, the primary consideration regarding which burn rate to consider is �load density�. A charge weight that achieves a load density of 93% or better will burn more consistently with better velocity SD, than a case with a faster powder resulting in a lower load density. Especially in mid and big bores, they shoot more accurately with high load densities rather than moving to a faster powder and lower load densities. As a rule of thumb, you want to select the slowest burning powder possible and avoid a highly compressed load.

Smaller bores do not seem to be so sensitive to burn rates and load densities.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
In a nutshell,it could kill you.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
ONLY USE PUBLISHED RECIPES FOR YOUR HANDLOADS IS THE BEST RULE OF THUMB. FOLLOW A GOOD LOADING MANUAL AND CHECK AT LEAST 1 MORE FOR COMPARISON.

A .357 MAG CAN BE YOUR BEST FRIEND.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the powder which is slightly faster in burn rate gives better accuracy and is more user friendly in the field (ie less muzzle flash)

Thus in 222rem (40gr)I load VVN120, in 6.5x55 (100gr) I load VVN150, 7x57 (154gr) I load VVN150.

If you look on the Hornady site's load advice they reccomend slightly faster powders for accuracy.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote