Find
Notify
Tools

Re: WOW...what a TIGHTGROUP!
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
And folks wonder why there are such ardent 35 cal fans

Few things are funner than make 35 cal holes with no recoil or report to speak of. It is even better when shooting something with a decent meplat at 100 yds, as you here the wack of the bullet hit a split second after you fire.

Looks like I have another powder to try

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an A&B 24 inch 358 Win bbl on my Savage Scout, and tried Tightgroup with 158 gr .357 pistol bullets for fun. Like AA5744, this powder is designed to be very insensitive to load density or position in the case, although much faster. Only 5.5 grs of Tightgroup gives 1156 fps, with an SD of 6 fps. Report is like a 22 LR in this bbl, and velocity is low enough that there is no leading.

Accuracy at 50 yds is too small for me to measure. 5 shot groups are literally one hole with no sign of anything like a cloverleaf. Max outside diameter is 0.42, so you do the math.

This bbl has a nice short throat and full engagement of the lands is possible. In addition, I partially neck size the 358 cases with a 9MM pistol die. Inside camfer to avoid lead shaving when seating.

What you get is a 22 LR on steroids with 470 FPE. What FUN!!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sabot, I totally believe your account. Many years ago I knew of a company in New Mexico that manufactured reloaded pistol ammo etc, mostly for police department training.

They had a rifle created for quality testing of their .38 wadcutter ammo, which was obviously loaded with the 148 gr wadcutter and most likely something around 3 grs of bullseye.

Anyway, they could sit there and put bullets in the same hole virtually all day long.

Just ONE of the reasons I've always laughed when someone questions cast bullet's accuracy. Such a person is showing his ignorance and has not been around many cast bullets much.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote