THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 titanium (Are they accurate?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been threating to buy one of these rifles in 7mm/08 but I didn't want to put out $1500.00 and find out that these guns don't shoot. I have limited gunsmithing abilites and limited access to a good gunsmith if it does not. I'm prepared to go through trying different bullets and powder, but I wonder what I could expect for groups?

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackstone,

maybe it is because the good ones stay in the US while the crappy ones are sent overseas, but the ones I have tried here have shown a level of accuracy that maybe considered from poor to miserable.

the sample is not big enough, though, and everything might just have been a coincidence.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a forum search and you will find several threads about this gun.Kuduking is gettin 1/2" groups with his.Others are also getting sub 1" groups.Montero could be right as the complaints seem to comw from overseas.Everyone else seems happy.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Blackstone, You have 700 Titanium models for 1500 bucks up there? Come down to the Gander MT. in Wausau, Wi., we got one for 799 I believe it is, and it's a 708, too. I think they'll shoot as good as model 7s I've reloaded for, since they have the same barrel taper, that'd be in the 1/2"-inch area, If you get one and use 140-150gr. bullets, the first powder to try would be RE15, 39.5-40grs. and 38-39.5grs respectively. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Montero, Just out of curiosity, What are you using for loads in your Ti. model 700, and what caliber are you shooting? Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love this rifle in .308 Win. POI is right on consistent every time. I haven't shot factory ammo through so I can't say how it shoots, but handloads do very well. It will do 1/2 MOA all day long with it's favorite load, and under 1 MOA with just about anything else. For it's light weight it balances very well. Here's the link:

700 Ti Discussion

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I have shot 4 different Titaniums from the bench. A 7.08 and a .270 were tried only with factory ammunition of different brands which failed to deliver acceptable accuracy. If I recall correctly best of the two was the .270 with 2.5 inches at 100 meter with Winchester's Supreme in 130gr CT Balistic Silvertips. The worst could not do better than 5 inches.

The other two were .270s one of which consistently shoots around the magic minute of angle. Eureka!

The last one is owned by a friend of mine who has stubbornly tried everything to make it shoot.

We swapped scopes in case it was the scope, tried different bedding systems, tried all commercial loads we could find, tried with bullets from 100 to 150 grains and powders from the faster Tubal 5000, Norma's 201 and 202, and IMR4064 to the slower Tubal 7000 and 8000, Norma's 204 and MRP, Vihtavuory 560, and H4831, combined using different primers both standard and magnum, put a Jewell trigger on , and what else...

It took a long way and effort before we threw the towel in.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Montero, Do you still have these rifles? Sounds like a ammo problem, or action guard screws on the loose aide, or something loose.

My recipe for the 7mm08 is 150MKs, .010" off the lands, Rem brass and primers(standard), and 38-39grs. of RE15(Alliant), don't know what you call it over there, but it seems to be the best powder that I've tried, 39.5grs. of Varget and 150gr. Nosler Bal. tips work really well also. If them 2 loads don't produce moa or better, fired slowly(2min. in between shots) I'd send it back to Remington. Jay