New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: IMR 4350 Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quail Wing said, "That is from the IMR site. As a brand name, IMR is the oldest still around in North America."

Not quite true. IMR powders were made by Du Pont. The IMR standing for Improved Military Powders. A few years back, Du pont divested itself from making gunpowders and the company that bought them out took the name IMR.
Discounting black powder, if any is even still being made here in the U.S., I believe Bullseye and Unique are probably the two oldest powders still being made. At one time, Du Pont was also making those, but the government forced them to sell the rights to make it to someone else. (I think it was Laflin & Rand, but I'm not sure on that.) Later Hercules got the rights to make them, and now Alliant is making them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since Hogdon introduced 4350 in the short cut version, I have used it exclusively because it meters better than IMR.

Perhaps IMR is now making it that way too, I don't know. In any event, I cannot see any difference between the two, and I chronograph much of what I shoot.....

I heard that Hogdon bought out the IMR line, is that so??

Posts: 10 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Since Hogdon introduced 4350 in the short cut version, I have used it exclusively because it meters better than IMR.

Perhaps IMR is now making it that way too, I don't know. In any event, I cannot see any difference between the two, and I chronograph much of what I shoot.....

I heard that Hogdon bought out the IMR line, is that so??

Hodgdon Powder Company announces the asset purchase of IMR Powder Company Inc. IMR has been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for many years. The IMR brand product names remain and are now supplied by Hodgdon.

That is from the IMR site. As a brand name, IMR is the oldest still around in North America.

I was reading PO Ackley's books last night. He was attempting to put together a burn rate listing of the then available powders ( circa 1962 ). He decided to use 4350 as the base line to judge others by. Interesting reading...

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 is one of (if not THE single) most popular smokeless powders in use today. It isn't a new kid, but it's burn rate makes it suitable for a HUGE variety of calibers and bullet weights. There may be better options out there, but I use it in 30-06 and don't ever plan to change. Good luck this season.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote