New
Find
Notify
Tools

.5MOA accuracy out of Coreloks???
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
saw something I can't believe. My buddy just got a FN A1 Tactical 308. real nice gun for 1360dollars. McMillian stock, heavy chrome lined barrel, winchester 70 action. Well, we took to the range with 5 different types of ammo. FN guanteeed less than .75" groups at 100 yards with Fed Match or Black hills 168gr 308win ammo. None of that ammo could we get ahold of this weekend, but had the following
Federal Nosler Bullistic Tips 165gr
Federal Sierra Gamekings Boatails 165gr
Remington Match 168gr
Remington Coreloks 150gr
Winchester silvertips 165gr

Out of all this, corloks got .5" groups at 100 yards. Not once, but three times. I was shocked. Never seen Coreloks ever shoot. The bullistic tips sucked bad for some reason and my old favorite the sierras got 1.2" groups or less consistently. Winchesters got 1.5" groups. And remington Match got .9" groups consistently. Do ya think that the reason the coreloks shot so well cause they were the only ones 150gr? I mean this barrel is so thick, I figured it would shoot most wieghts good. Also, this Chrome lined barrel is so cool. No breakin needed, and very little copper fouling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several rifles that adore the core-lokts. Don't ask me why, but for some reason, they seem to shoot well in quite a few rifles.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .338 WM BAR and a pre-64 Model 70 w a Kreiger bbl in .338 WM. They both shoot 2" groups at 300 yards with 250 gr Core-Lokt's. (Yes, that is 300 yards) I expect they actually shoot better than I do.

Needless to say ... I am not complaining!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Rem bullets, but wonder why the ballistic tips don't shoot as well or better. Check the amount of bullet jump to the rifling between the loads. I would guess the Rems jumped least of the loads mentioned. I found this critical to optimal accuracy.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7mm-08 likes core lokts better then anything else, I have no idea why, but I won't mess with what works. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Check the twist rate on your rifle. I suspect that it will shoot 150's better than the heavier bullets. Try the 150 gr. MK's or the 155 gr. Palma Match bullets. My Rem 700 heavy Barrel shoots 150's much better than any 168's.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't the bullet--its the gun. That gun has the right vibe's for a corelock. Kinda like you might like redheads and I might like blondes.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had very good groups with Rem. coreloks. In my .30 and .35 calibers they usually shoot a lot better than the more expensive bullets. They must be doing something right.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friends 338wm Ruger, he was shooting all touching holes at 100 yards when none of us could do better than 3/4", he was using 225 Corelocks, yep I said the same thing. [Eek!]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry

I've been using corloks for over 25 years in various calibers & have always found them to be very accurate,deadly on game & are well priced.

I prefer to use them over some of the much dearer bullets that are avaliable for hunting & I intend to try them out in a silhouette match in my 7mm-08.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the Corelocked are very accurate, but my favorite varmit bullet, both because of accuracy and explosivness is the 55 grain rem powerlocked!!! They are the most accurate bullet out of my Sako 222 and my remington 788 in 22-250. These bullets are deadly accurate and at anything less than 200 yards the varmits literally explode. Remington is definitely doing something right on their bullet line.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bread and butter deer rifle, a Ruger 270 (old tang safety model) loves the ol' green box core lokts. So good in fact that it took me 6 years before I ever even tried a handload in it!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote