Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss vs Tin Star
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Happy New Year!

I currently use Trail Boss, 6.2 gns behind a lead 240 bullet in my 44 Magnum Winchester 94.

It is pleasant, accurate, meters well and....EXPENSIVE!

Now I know that I can use Unique, Red Dot, Etc., etc., BUT I'd prefer a bulk powder as I want a powder that fills the case for light CAS style shooting.

If I'm hunting I'll use 2400!

So I'm looking at Vihtavouri Tin Star as it is cheaper than Trail Boss grain for grain.

However I've never used it so would appreciate some advice as to how it compares with Trail Boss in terms of accuracy and ease of metering. I throw my charges using a old Lyman 55.

Many thanks in advance!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recently completed an extensive velocity and pressure test of Tin Star for development of CAS loads in most all CAS cartridges including the .44 Magnum. I suggest you try the equivelent load of 6.2 gr Tin Star under your 240 gr bullet. You can then tweak it +/- to suit your needs.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry! I tested my 6.2gns of Trail Boss over a chronograph today, 3 Jan. 2012.

Getting 922fps average velocity out of my Winchester 94 with 20" barrel loaded under a 245gn SWC CAST RCBS MOULD bullet.

I'll certainly look at Tin Star when the Trail Boss runs out as here in UK it is two thirds the price.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote