New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The most obscure caliber ....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shoot and reload for the .17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger, .256 Newton and the .22 Pokey. Mark Pinkston of Kailua Custom Guns has built a .22 McCrea Bumblebee for me on a Martini-Cadet action that should be ready this week. The McCrea was wildcatted by Lyman McCrea prior to 1940.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obscurity of a caliber attracts my attention like few other attributes. Well, accuracy is nice......but if it's obscure AND accurate, I'm in hog heaven.

That's likely why I got a CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62 instead of a 338 Win Mag or 35 Whelen. This one fits into the obscure (in the USA, at least) and accurate category, especially with Eirik's 270 grain cast bullet design.

I also do the 25-35 WCF in cast and jacketed. It does decent work with the NEI 114 grain flatnose, but it truly shines with the Hornady 117 FNSP......probably the most accurate shooting I've ever done with a lever gun (flatband M-94).

Pistol cartridges is where I get deep into trivia. 30 Mauser, its Soviet clone the 7.62 x 25, the 30 Luger, and (drum roll, please.....) the 7.65 MAS.

OK.....WTH izzat? A French service pistol, vintage 1935 or so, chambered in the French M-1935 that looks for all the world like a SIG-P-210 that got shrunk in the wash. Kind of a 32 Super Auto, and it sends Lyman #313249's at 1075 FPS with fair accuracy. Cases are lathe-turned/modified 32 S&W Longs made rimless and shorter. Kind of a cool little pistol that would make a very good small game harvester.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Here's three: The .22 Newton, .22/4000 Sedgley-Schnerring, and .220 Wilson Arrow. Anybody load and shoot these?

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote