Find
Notify
Tools

7X57 Velocity question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Can anyone point me to where (or tell me) what the max. CIP velocities for the following loads are

140 gr.
150 gr.
160 gr.
175 gr.

from a 24 inch barrel or whatever the standard length for CIP would be?

TIA

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the load books would have that info, also the sites for the bullet and powder companies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
All of the load books would have that info, also the sites for the bullet and powder companies.

They are all US lawyer regulated spec. I have a newer Ruger that I'm sure will be okay with CIP pressures and loads.

DRSS member

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok,
I bite , what is CIP preasure ?
I use CUP, and PSI but CIP ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry to many variables to even attempt to answer.

Yes you have a new ruger so yes it should handle pressures at least up to the same as a 6mm(same case) 65,000. Yes your brass should be the limiting factor.

However each bullet is different, what is your OAL? What is the bullet jump Again all have an impact on pressure.

In my wifes I find the Nosler book to be in the ball park. Some powders I can exceed their max some I can't. Since you have a 24" add 20-40fps of you want. However each rifle will give it's own results. I've seen twin rifles yeild results 150-200fps apart so all data you read is suspect anyway.
Another bit of info.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=7mm+m...mo.com%2F7mmload.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'll just toss out with several 7 x 57s with 22 inch barrels, and long throated...

with 175 grain bullets, 40 grains of IMR 3031 are suppose to give me 2450 fps MV... however, the chronograph says 2650 fps with all 3 rifles...

2900 fps is do'able with 140 grain bullets

2800 with 150 grain bullets

and 2700 fps with 160 grain bullets..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Ok,
I bite , what is CIP preasure ?
I use CUP, and PSI but CIP ?
...tj3006

Tom,

CIP is the European agency "like" SAAMI that set max. chamber pressures. They generally base their pressures on modern firearms thus higher pressure(s).

Ramrod,

Yup, I know that. But I seem to remember a site on the web that listed CIP specs. and thought they also had listed a velocity as well as pressure.

seafire,

I was using your standard 40 gr. of IMR 3031 with 175 gr. Corelokts and it was okay with Winchester brass but with Remington was getting incipient case head separations.

This says to me WAY TOO much pressure. I figured if I just back off and try for European velocities and pressures things would be okay.

I'm not trying to get 280 peformance (except in my 280) but want something that the 7x57 cartridge is capable of safely. Figured on using CIP as my standard...

Guys thanks for the replies, and if anyone happens to know the URL for a site with CIP specs...

Roi

DRSS member

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:

They are all US lawyer regulated spec. I have a newer Ruger that I'm sure will be okay with CIP pressures and loads.

CIP Max = 340MPa or 49,300 psi piezo
SAAMI max = 46,000 CUP or 51,000 psi Piezo

load away........

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was using your standard 40 gr. of IMR 3031 with 175 gr. Corelokts and it was okay with Winchester brass but with Remington was getting incipient case head separations.

This says to me WAY TOO much pressure

I would be checking my headspace.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I just checked and the 7x57 CIP update of 06/13/1990 lists a Pmax (maximum average pressure) of 56,565psi/3,900bar; its still loaded lower pressure for pre-M98 chamberings. Your Ruger can easily handle that pressure level (and higher).

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote