New
Find
Notify
Tools

XXX recovered from Oryx
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a pic of the 168 gr XXX recovered from just under hide of the far side shoulder of a Scimitar-horned Oryx my wife shot at about 150 yds. MV of 2700+ from .308 win. The recovered weight after cleaning is 167.5 gr.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've never been a fan of the Xs, most of them would not shoot right in my rifles until I tried the 180 XXX in my 300 Win Mag. The results look promising, right at 1.1" and the fouling did not appear to be too bad. What kind of accuracy were you getting and was 2700 fps the normal MV for your rifle using bullets of similar weights? jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Nice...What was accuracy like?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to consistantly shoot under 1 MOA with any X bullet in any gun until the XXX's. This was out of a Sniper's Hide rifle built by GA Precision. If I do my part, accuracy is under .5 MOA. The average velocity for this load is 2740 fps with no pressure. Fed Gold Medal Match 175 gr. clock at 2715 fps. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever recover one. I thought the bison one of my boys shot a while back might stop the XXX but it didn't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of the beast. He didn't go right down, but he couldn't coordinate an escape either. He danced around in circles for a bit before expiring. Note the entrance hole in the shoulder.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
KTG,
The only Barnes X bullet from my 35 Whelen that I recovered was from an oryx. It looked nearly identical to the bullet you recovered. They must be pretty tough in order to stop these slugs. I believe them to be the best all-around bullet for medium to large game. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote