Find
Notify
Tools

temp stable powders for .308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
I have always used 4895 for .308 win loads, 130 to 150 gr bullet. I may try some others this spring, as I just dragged home another .308 rifle (stainless stalker A-bolt). What powders are known for good temperature stability? I'd like to try N140 and AA2015, maybe Varget. Just though I'd check with you folks for suggestions before getting started.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with the 150 grain Varget is the choice, it's the standard of Palma shooters with the 155

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I just started fooling around with Varget this winter and so far I really like it.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAMSHOT TAC! Works great in 358Win also!

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Temp stability is a non existent problem from a practical standpoint...your searching for an answer to a non existant problem...kinda like a double action automatic, we never needed it, the 1911 was fine.

We have not shot cordite in years, it was temp unstable...Overloading is blamed for temp. stability problems.

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, as Ray says, it probably isn't really a problem. Especially for a hunting rifle. Still I do like a temp stable powder. I used to use 4064 in my .308, but loads that I worked up months before the season sure didn't shoot as good when I pulled the rifle back out to shoot it right before the hunt. (much cooler temps) The difference would be something like 1.75" groups, when before it was shooting at .75". Still OK for hunting, but the rifle was obviously no longer in tune, which really bugs me. My recommendation is to go with Varget in the .308. It just always seems to shoot the same. Also, I get good velocity at low pressure, and it meters OK. Obviously, if you load it hot, and the temp goes way up you can still have problems. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote