New
Find
Notify
Tools

V-Max in the K-Hornet
 Login/Join

<auto>
posted
After reading something about the Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets I went to Huntington's Sportsmens Store today and bought a box. Does anyone have a pet load for the K-hornet? Another thing...I use the K-hornet for shooting the small ground squirrels. How well should I expect the V-max bullet to perform? Compared to the Hornady SXSP?

<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot 14.0grs of 296,with a moly 33gr V-Max,in R/P cases. For the moly 35's,I drop it abot 2/10ths of a grain.

I read great things about Lil'Gun,but haven't deviated from the above loads.

I have 5 different K-Hornets. Most are 20" barrels. I get 3450fps,out of the 20"s,with the 33's. The 35's will go 3400fps. Both with extreme accuracy. The 33's seem to be more frangible,but the 35's still punish vermin.

You'll scatter squirrels to the 4-winds,in a manner you'd have NEVER thought. She's sinister............

<daveinmt>
posted
I use the 35 Vmax and Lgun in my Khornet. By all means try Lgun, I got better accuracy and a lot more velocity with Lgun then I ever did with 296, 4227, 0r 1680. I also use pistol primers.

daveinmt

<auto>
posted
I will try the Lil Gun powder as soon as I get some. My gun store says it is mostly used in .410 shotguns....what kind of load (how much) do you use? I accidently used the pistol primers once. I pierced most of them with the firing pin in my Martini, so I guess I will stick to the small rifle primers.

<aim4thefur>
posted
I had no success with the LilGun under the 40 gr. vmax, so I didn't try any with the 35 gr. yet, but I did find the 35's really liked 14.1 grs. of AA1680 in my Ruger 77/22 K-conversion. Just a smidge over 3000fps. 3/4" groups at 100yrd.

Rick

<daveinmt>
posted
I am shooting 13.0 grains of Lgun, pistol primers and the 35 vamx. Seating depth is set by the clip dimensions on my 77/22 VHZ. This combo shoots 3250 ft/s and averages around 0.75 inches. No problrems with case life.

I had good results with 1680, but Lgun shoots as well, and much better velocity.

daveinmt