New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Data Record Keeping
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have started keeping my handloading data on a excel spreadsheet - nothing fancy. I found it as an easy way to keep good records of what works, as well as what loads I have tried that didn' work.

I was wondering if anyone had a good excel spreadsheet or other record keeping method they would like to share.

Thanks!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
In my current profession, we live and die with Excel. I guess it has carried over into my personal life as well. I generally have one file per caliber...and one tab per bullet type within that file. Everytime I load with that particular bullet I log it on that tab along with group size...yada...yada. It keeps things neat and organized just remember to back it up from time to time. Losing all my load data would make me one mean hombre.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have started keeping my handloading data on a excel spreadsheet -

Exactly what I do thumb

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
In my current profession, we live and die with Excel. I guess it has carried over into my personal life as well. I generally have one file per caliber...and one tab per bullet type within that file. Everytime I load with that particular bullet I log it on that tab along with group size...yada...yada. It keeps things neat and organized just remember to back it up from time to time. Losing all my load data would make me one mean hombre.

So you probably even have charts for bullet drop and the whole nine yards. Cool.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to share their Ecel files w/ someone who is Excel challenged? boohoo

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey fredj and jmj888

I use an excel spreadsheet and would send it to you as an e-mail attachment. Mine is probably not as good as yours jmj888. Essentially it just contains a separate sheet for each gun. On each sheet I keep:

Measurement to lands for each different bullet
Magazine overall length

and for each load I keep:

Date
Bullet type
Bullet weight
Ballistic Coefficient
Powder
Grains
COAL
Comparator reading the bullet is seated at
Spread of 4 shot group
Velocity (when my chronographed worked)
Energy at 300 yds
Drop at 500 yds

I would be interested to see your spreadsheet jmj

PM me and I will send you my e-mail address.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
While I may be proficient at Excel...I still abide by the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). No crazy Microsoft magic...mostly data entry. There are too many ballistic programs available where somebody else has done all the grunt work for you. This is the data I usually input on a page:

Date load was shot
Approx Weather conditions
Wind direction and est. speed
Powder type
Charge
COL"
Group size
Approx velocity from load manual...need a chrono
Any significant notes - usually signs of pressure...yada yada.

As my load development progresses for each bullet type then I continue it down the page. That way, when I have questions later on, I can go back and reference. I find that if I write it in a book, it gets filed away in a closet, the attic, or ends up left on a bench at the range.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I list the following

Bullet
Weight
Powder
Weight
Primer
Case
COL
Accuracy
Velocity
Energy
Remarks (for anything out of the ordinary)

I know it seems like a lot but it is super simple.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
Has anybody takin a lot at the Point Blank program? I have used it and like it a lot. It has a very detailed record keeping, and a bunch more...its at http://huntingnut.com/

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell I thought when I typed my notes over and filed them in plastic sheets in three ringed binder with the targets I was the shit. LOL I keep all the same info if that makes any difference.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I also recommend PointBlank. It's free and has most everything I need to keep track of and more.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is about what I keep on the paper (gasp!!!) sheet I fill out as I work up the load and when I come back from the range, I cut out the groups and tape them to the data sheet so I have instant reference to them. Guess you could scan the target and import it into EXCEL. I'd use my computer too except it is in the house and all my reloading stuff is in the garage. Plus, while reloading, I can grab the 3-ring binder and check stuff easily.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gasp!!!!!!!!! Then how come I am still using paper???

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I'm a dumbass. Thank Christ I remember to use those small POS stickers that come with my plastic cartridge boxes.

If I hadn't put them on the boxes after I loaded shells.......I'd wonder which torn piece of looseleaf paper was my load.

And Thank You Mike for that Rigby data......I agree that excel spread sheet is the way to go.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in someone emailing me there Excel sheet if possible! Why reinvent the wheel.
If you are using point blank you may try importing PB data into excel as commma delimited file to keep it in one format. Just my .02
James

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If you go to http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm you will find quite a few downloads which pertain to shooting and reloading.

The one I like for record keeping is Rob's Reloading Organizer.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve,
Will have to take a look. You are always a step ahead of us. Need to start putting mine in .xls
And thanks woods for your .xls Looked great!
James