New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma primer pockets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't seen this thread anywhere. I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem. I have a couple of calibers that Norma is the only manufacturer of brass. This latest example is 7.7 Jap. The primer pockets all need to be opened up, it nigh impossible to seat a primer. This the second batch I have purchased with this problem, recently. I'm used to cleaning out the flash holes but I hunt I don't target shoot so I usually don't spend alot of time dicking around with the primer pocket. But with this Norma brass I have no choice. What a pain! I'm a captive customer since they are the only manufacturer, but I got my limits.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
I've recently had the same problem with Norma brass in 7.65x53. CCI 200 primers refuse to fully seat. Apparently the primer pockets lack adequate depth.

Like you, I'm stuck with using Norma brass. It's overpriced crap, in my opinion.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
7.65x53 aka 7.65x54 is available as made by Hornady from Graf & Sons. $27.99 a hundred. I got some and it looks like good brass. Much better than $27+ per 20!!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something?

Ain't 7.65x53 just a .30-06 that has been runup in a 7.65x53 sizing die and trimmed?

That's all I ever shot in mine, anyway.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use quite a bit of Norma brass without such problems, maybe you should try changing primers!! Primers are more likly to be oversize than brass is to be undersized IMO>...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Tried to get an answer to this question several weeks ago "What primers best fit norma brass?" and got no response. Tried Federal 210M's and they were to tight, tried CCI's and they were also to tight. Finally tried Winchester WLR's and they fit just fine. I suppose after the brass is fired a couple of times the Federal and CCI primers will also seat comfortably.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
What dimension causes the primer fit problem? Is it diameter or depth?

Also what primers have you tried?

Do you have any primer pocket prep tools?

<Mads>
posted
I preferre to use Norma brass.

That said the last time I loaded Norma brass was for my .300 win in new brass. The Fed 215 primer wouldn't seat correctly with out violence!

That is teh first and only time I ever have exsperieced that with any brass and primer combination! I have used Winchester, RWS, CCI and Federal primers in Norma brass without this kind of problems.

So buttom line I guess that the problem some of us have seen most be due to bad manufacturing of the primer pockets in soem of the brass!

Regards

Mads

P.S:
I have a feeling that Norma isn't that good as it used to be - but that is just a feeling!

<TimB99>
posted
I have heard good things about Lapua brass. I do not know if is available in that size.

I think some of you may be confusing 7.62x54R Rimmed Russian with 7.65x53 Argentine Mauser. Not the same.

I know Lapua brass is available in 7.62x54R.

Tim

You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you.

<RickMD>
posted
Leftoverdj:

Most 30/06 brass that is simply formed and trimmed has case necks that end up being too thick and require reaming to make good 7.65x53 brass. The lot of Norma brass that I have has primer pockets that a too shallow to fully seat the primer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

My cases worked fine in my rifle without reaming or neck turning, but I did check on that before firing one and should have mentioned it in my post. Those old military chambers can vary a lot.

You are perfectly correct that you can wind up with case necks that are too thick and have to ream. At the time I was doing it, LC Match once fired was about $60 a thousand. Norma brass was around $15 for 20. I can do a lot of turning and reaming for that difference. Did it, too, when I was making .25-06 from them.

But you were quite right to call me on that. Someone with a tighter neck or thicker brass than I got could get into trouble.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silver primers are wider than unsilvered primers. This is easily felt with a hand priming tool and confirmed on some web page I have long forgotten the address of. My personal experience is with rem 9.5, WLR being easy to prime and CCI, federal mag match being hard to prime.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote