THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Available energy left at 100 yds....................

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Available energy left at 100 yds....................
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I have a Uberti Baby Rolling Block(22 inch barrel) in 357 Mag and a load of 14 gr. of Win 296 with a Speer 170 gr Gold Dot Soft Point(1500fps?) really shoots good in it but does this loading have enough energy left at 100 yds to take medium sized Whitetails(120--140 lbs.) For some reason the figure of 1000ft lbs of energy seems to come to mind on "recommended" energy levels, not sure if that is right or something that is stuck in my mind for no good reason.
Shots will be limited to 100 to 125 yds.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
I've heard the same and more recently 800fpe for deer. I'm also hearing 1500fpe for elk and/or moose but I don't want to start an argument here like I always do. I'm thinking a 44mag at 100 yards is under 800fpe but still considered ok and the same with some MLs. Well, I'd hate to think about fpe energy for the arrows out of my recurve but that's a whole other subject.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, 1000 ft/lbs of energy is the rule of thumb for deer, but that is with a rifle cartridge. You are asking about a pistol cartridge which is different because a pistol kills by sheer tissue damage just the same as a muzzleloading rifle. The idea of hunting with a pistol is that the bullet should be large enough to create a large wound channel and thereby let air in and blood out of the wound. I don't think any pistol with a bore of less than .410 should be used on deer over a max distance of 50yds, and the larger bore pistols should have enough power to achieve deep penetration at the longer ranges i.e.; 125yds. Some "experts" say that large game shouldn't even be hunted with a handgun, PERIOD. With any hunting tool shot placement is important but with a bullet that does not kill by the transfer of kinetic energy it is crucial. I think what I have used all these words for is to tell you that I don't think your .357 rifle is capable of making clean kills at the renges you are wanting to shoot deer at.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I limit my .357 to 75 yards...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote